Oklahoma Gun sales Question/scary story .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard a scary story the other day...A gentleman sold a gun to an individual who was a decent guy. However, later on down the road that guy used the pistol in a murder. Well, the FBI came to arrest the seller of the gun since the serial number traced back to him and he had to go through a lot to prove he wasnt at the scene of the crime. He did get off, but was told for now on get a written receipt.
I've never thought of getting a receipt. I only ask to see a Oklahoma drivers license.
My concern is the guy I sold it to might be a decent OKshooters guy, but what if he or she sells the gun to someone that isnt and the serial number stills goes all the way back to me. How am I protected in Oklahoma because I dont want to meet and greet the FBI this way?

So... What did they charge him with? Murder? I find it VERY hard to beleive the FBIs only evidence was a gun. I can totally understand them investigating the former owner of the gun but I think that would be a very brief investigation. "is this your gun?" "nope, not anymore. I sold that gun about 3 years ago." "are these your fingerprints?" "nope" "ok have a nice day sir!"

MD Froman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a rifle I had once owned used in an armed robbery but I didn't match the description of the perp so they just asked if I remembered who I sold it to and when.

I don't really think they would try to peg the original purchaser of the weapon if he says he sold it and was nowhere near the crime scene and looked nothing like the perp.

sigsilly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
North of the Red River, South of the Cimarron
there is a release on the title for that reason.

ran the numbers in what? in what DB was the sellers info recorded with the serial? It's listed on the 4473 but AFAIK it is not provided during the NICS check.

They know where it was shipped to and where the wholesaler sold it. They then go to the dealer and look through the 4473. Or the dealer's log.

I have been on the reciving end of a situation like this. If you are the person who bought the firearm new you will be the first person they come looking for. You need to keep some type of information as to who you sold it to.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always do a "bill of sale" on just about any thing I trade or sell...lawnmowers, tools, guns, horses......

it's just good business. And it protects the buyer if somehow he's asked how he came into possession of goods.

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always do a "bill of sale" on just about any thing I trade or sell...lawnmowers, tools, guns, horses......

it's just good business. And it protects the buyer if somehow he's asked how he came into possession of goods.

I do the same. I make out a form that has the serial number, name, address, and signature for both parties. Protects both of us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom