Oklahoma Gun sales Question/scary story .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been on the reciving end of a situation like this. If you are the person who bought the firearm new you will be the first person they come looking for. You need to keep some type of information as to who you sold it to.

Me too and you don't need to keep any information as to who you sold it to. All I told them was that I had sold it, they (BATF) said thanks and left....end of story. As someone said you can make up a bill of sale so why would that have any legal merit. In this day of identity theft no stranger selling me a gun FTF is going to get any personal info and/or a copy of my drivers license.

And just to play devils advocate, what info should I as a buyer get from the seller? How do I know he didn't steal the gun. Shouldn't he give me a copy of his original bill of sale he received when he bought the gun to prove it's legal?

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too and you don't need to keep any information as to who you sold it to. All I told them was that I had sold it, they (BATF) said thanks and left....end of story. As someone said you can make up a bill of sale so why would that have any legal merit. In this day of identity theft no stranger selling me a gun FTF is going to get any personal info and/or a copy of my drivers license.

And just to play devils advocate, what info should I as a buyer get from the seller? How do I know he didn't steal the gun. Shouldn't he give me a copy of his original bill of sale he received when he bought the gun to prove it's legal?

Absolutely this! I passed on a real good deal on an LCP because the guy said he wouldn't sell it to me without my name, address and phone number. I wasn't about to give that info to someone who now knows I like guns. If someone wants a brief look at my drivers license with my finger covering pertinent info , fine. Otherwise I pass.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we should do away with the private sale "loophole" then everything would be safer for all. :)

There is no loophole and no one is in any danger conducting any legal private sale of a firearm. (Legal, i.e. not a straw man purchase, not to a known felon, not to a minor)

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can do a bill of sale that includes the firearm's information and you both sign the document. This would cover you as a legit form of transfer.

To how many people here would it be a deal breaker when the seller of the weapon, a member from this forum, pulled out a bill of sale and wanted your info?

It would not bother me but I am sure it would some here.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep no Bill of sale for me. Its a deal killer.... There is no law that says you have to do this so your not getting my information. If you are going to sell in classifieds you need to state that you are requiring a BOS otherwise you will get negative feedback for not being honest in the sale. Not saying you can't require it, you can, just there are buyers that won't buy them if you do.

MD Froman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To how many people here would it be a deal breaker when the seller of the weapon, a member from this forum, pulled out a bill of sale and wanted your info?

It would not bother me but I am sure it would some here.

Me neither.Anyone that would go to those lengths is complicit to the power grabs we already endure. I might check ID to make sure they aren't too young or aren't from someplace like NYC or California if they have an accent but that's about it. The law has no provision for the transfer of private property and looking at it any differently than selling a wrench or a drill is caving to the antis in a huge way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom