Oklahoma Speed Limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It amazes me how much faster people drive than the traffic around them to gain very little time.

For me it isn't the time savings, it's to try to get away from the "crowds".

I don't like driving 75-80 in a group, some people think it is the thing to do. They come up on you and hang 30' off of your tail end, or even better they come up fast on you, and then park at your rear quarter while they are on their smart phone. But my all time favorite is to come past you fast, pull in front over you very quickly and close, and then slow down.

I want to be by myself, set the cruise on my speed of choice, and not have to go off and on because some person wants to hang with me and can't manage their speed consistently.

So I will stretch it out a bit, just to get away from the crowd.

And when it comes to griping about speeding, I'd actually like to see more people griping about distracted driving. I see that 10:1 or more over excessive speeding.

Back on topic, when this was passsed, the wording was it would be adopted/introduced where it made sense. I took it to mean that it wasn't a blanket raise of the limit, they will assess the roads, and thier capabilities to support the higher speed, and adopt if it is safe.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bigger problem that I see is Speed differential on the Turnpikes. That creates a higher risk situation than if EVERYONE was driving 85 and maintaining safe intervals between vehicles. NASCAR proves this theory every weekend driving 200 mph bumper to bumper. Everything is fine until one car bumps another car or cuts a tire and then comes the fun.

Anyone that drives regularly on the Turner Turnpike knows that 18 wheelers are a major issue and they will block both lanes with a rolling block for several miles at a times. Especially in the hilly areas on the TP. Traffic always bunches up at the Turnpike Gate and the McDonalds and takes about 10 minutes to get clear of it.
Too bad the Turnpike was not 3 Lanes ALL the Way to OKC.

The posted speed limit could be 100 MPH and there are always a few jerks that would drive 120 MPH and ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed. I've had cars whizz past me a hundred yards or so before a stop sign.

And they're usually still stopped when I pull up behind 'em. :D

My biggest pet peeve is someone getting on the interstate or turnpike and not matching the speed of the drivers already on causing you to slow down. Then, I say THEN, they freakin pass you!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually, unless there is an Emergency Clause attached to the Bill, it takes several months to go in effect.

Look again around November
Yep. Without an Emergency Clause, all new Oklahoma statutes take effect on November 1st of the year in which they're enacted.

FWIW, if you're going ~78-79mph on the Turner, you'll pass about as much you get passed (not counting the 18 wheelers, but you'd be passing most of them at 70mph). One of the few things I miss about burning up the Texas highways was the 70mph speed limits on rural two-lanes and 80mph on the interstates.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have slowed down as well in my older age. However there was a time that my driving moto was "I drive like you wish you had the nerve too." I must admit that when someone flies by me (in a safe way) that it makes me smile and brings back memories. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom