Oklahoma Speed Limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
On Hefner Raceway if you aren't doing 80 you're getting run over. Funny thing is, northbound on the raceway approaching Hefner exit there are people in the right lane that are not exiting that are doing 50 to 55 in a 65. Go figure.

I have a job that sends me everywhere in a three state area in a company vehicle. I get paid by the hour even if I'm driving to or from the job. Plus per diem. It pays me to drive the limit.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with your premise that the speed is not inherently unsafe. The Germans do it quite well. But...

To be fair, their standards for road surfaces, material, and designs (length of straight sections, curves, grades, ingress/egress) are vastly different than our state, federal, and interstate highways and even turnpikes.

There’s zero way our current infrastructure could support any speeds and traffic remotely similar.

And that’s not even touching the licensing and driver training requirements and penalties for violations and accidents.
True! All of that is true. The biggest problem being idiot drivers here.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the drivers who think that posted speed limits are for everyone else but them.

Honestly, no one pays any attention to any sign on the highway.

The "Stay right except to pass" sign is mostly ignored. I got flipped off Friday for giving someone in the left lane a courtesy flash from over 100' back, was obvious she was camped in the left lane going significantly less than the speed posted on the signs. She sped up, whipped into the right lane, and gave me an angry bird with a face to match.

"Don't text and drive" completely ignored, like I said, way more often than someone speeding.

Oh, even dynamic "signs" like red lights, ignored.

People in generally have lost their mind I think, I've seen this one the last couple of weeks several times. Someone realizes they are missing their left turn at a light, and instead of just going down the road and looping back, they decide to attempt the left turn from where ever they happened to be, holding up traffic from 2 directions while they decide if they really want to turn there.

I have no issues with folks driving faster than the limit, I don't see folks going 90+ very often, mostly it is just 5-10mph over and I gladly get out of their way. I see them as way less of a hazard than many of the other things I see going on while driving.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The person driving 120 is risking the lives of everyone else around them that is driving a 100 mph. Excessive Speed differential greatly increases the risk for accidents. My tolerance level is very short for SELFISH Drivers. There is no "your lane " on the turnpike because I have paid tolls to use all the lanes and have a reasonable expectation to have safe driving conditions and that includes the passing lane. I'm glad when the OHP nails the driver that is unnecessarily risking the lives of everyone else on the turnpike.

" Drivers who speed and drive in a “careless or wanton manner” can be convicted of “reckless driving.” A standard first offense carries five to 90 days in jail and/or $100 to $500 in fines. (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 47, § 11-901 (2017).)"
So you're the one. Move over. Driving like your grandma in the left lane is "careless and wanton".

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The person driving 120 is risking the lives of everyone else around them that is driving a 100 mph. Excessive Speed differential greatly increases the risk for accidents. My tolerance level is very short for SELFISH Drivers. There is no "your lane " on the turnpike because I have paid tolls to use all the lanes and have a reasonable expectation to have safe driving conditions and that includes the passing lane. I'm glad when the OHP nails the driver that is unnecessarily risking the lives of everyone else on the turnpike.

" Drivers who speed and drive in a “careless or wanton manner” can be convicted of “reckless driving.” A standard first offense carries five to 90 days in jail and/or $100 to $500 in fines. (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 47, § 11-901 (2017).)"
What color is your Volvo? Never had an accident but cause 2-3 every time you leave the house.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 80 MPH limit. Since we drive my Ram 2500 to Oklahoma, Montana and all states in between every year, it is the perfect limit for my truck. I set the cruise control at 79mph and is the best number for RPM/fuel consumption all while still making me feel we are getting on down the interstate in a timely manner.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do find it funny when truckers complain about car drivers. Yeah, they have reason to complain because car drivers are on the phone or doing whatever stupid **** they are doing other than driving safely. However. big rig drivers are about the most inconsiderate group of A-hole drivers on the planet. The chit they do on the highway/interstates boggles my mind and then they have the nerve to complain about car drivers. :fullauto:

Latest posts

Top Bottom