Oklahoma Speed Limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, no one pays any attention to any sign on the highway.

The "Stay right except to pass" sign is mostly ignored. I got flipped off Friday for giving someone in the left lane a courtesy flash from over 100' back, was obvious she was camped in the left lane going significantly less than the speed posted on the signs. She sped up, whipped into the right lane, and gave me an angry bird with a face to match.

"Don't text and drive" completely ignored, like I said, way more often than someone speeding.

Oh, even dynamic "signs" like red lights, ignored.

People in generally have lost their mind I think, I've seen this one the last couple of weeks several times. Someone realizes they are missing their left turn at a light, and instead of just going down the road and looping back, they decide to attempt the left turn from where ever they happened to be, holding up traffic from 2 directions while they decide if they really want to turn there.

I have no issues with folks driving faster than the limit, I don't see folks going 90+ very often, mostly it is just 5-10mph over and I gladly get out of their way. I see them as way less of a hazard than many of the other things I see going on while driving.

Although this thread is about speed limits I do agree that texting and driving is a very big problem on the highways. When I was younger I spent a little time in an 18 Wheeler and learned the importance of flashing the headlights to let the truckers know their trailer is clear of your vehicle when they are changing lanes. I still do that in my car to let the trucker know that I'm aware of their trailer and lane change.

I think some people on this thread have missed my very point about speed. Driving too slow is just as bad as driving too fast on the turnpikes. Earlier I stated that the present average speed on the Turner Turnpike is about 80 MPH which is what the speed limit is suppose to be increased to in the future. Post#12

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you think someone already had 200,000 speed limit signs made sitting on the shelf somewhere? lol
It will take months to make all the posted changes.

They could have bought them from Texas which has already posted 80 MPH Speeds in several parts of the state.
They could do one turnpike at a time and would not need 200K Signs to do that.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They could bought them from Texas which has already posted 80 MPH Speeds in several parts of the state.
They could do one turnpike at a time and would not need 200K Signs to do that.
No, they cant use a TX sign in OK. We have a different standard of sign and I was exaggerating on the 200,000. lol
But they will need a lot and it isn't just going to be turnpikes I don't believe...is it?
I could be wrong about that.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, they cant use a TX sign in OK. We have a different standard of sign and I was exaggerating on the 200,000. lol
But they will need a lot and it isn't just going to be turnpikes I don't believe...is it?
I could be wrong about that.

I think some of the Interstates that are not turnpikes will also see an increase in speed. My point was they could start small by doing one turnpike at a time and then eventually the rest of the state.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, even dynamic "signs" like red lights, ignored.
You mean a Tulsa Green Light?

I don't think I've ever seen any more people blow through a red light (red enough that my light had been green before they entered the intersection) than I have in the few months I've lived in Tulsa. Of course, they also have the most poorly-managed traffic lights I've ever seen, too. Well, outside of Purcell and their seven traffic lights, six of which are on one street...

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't think I've ever seen any more people blow through a red light (red enough that my light had been green before they entered the intersection) than I have in the few months I've lived in Tulsa. Of course, they also have the most poorly-managed traffic lights I've ever seen, too. Well, outside of Purcell and their seven traffic lights, six of which are on one street...
Visit Lawton sometime. The main drag is Cache Road. We affectionately called it Crash Road. You never ever and I mean never stop on a yellow there and people turning left always make sure 3 cars go on red. My kids called it Lawton style when you went through a red left turn to make sure you weren't rear ended.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have lived in Tulsa since 1978 and you are very correct that Tulsa is horrible for red light runners. My rule is that a green light means look both directions twice then Go. Again the timing on a lot of the lights does not match the traffic flow.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Visit Lawton sometime. The main drag is Cache Road. We affectionately called it Crash Road. You never ever and I mean never stop on a yellow there and people turning left always make sure 3 cars go on red. My kids called it Lawton style when you went through a red left turn to make sure you weren't rear ended.
I've gone through a red light myself because there was no way the guy behind me was going to be able to stop in time. I'm actually surprised when I don't see anyone go through a red light in Tulsa.

Not that Tulsa has a lock on stupid divers. When I was in Mississippi and Texas last year, I saw more real stupid than you can shake a stick at. I'm pretty sure that Mississippi drivers think that a solid yellow line denotes a passing zone (especially if it's going uphill and around a blind curve), and I just gave up on trying to figure out what Texicans are thinking while they're behind the wheel.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am always leery of the Creek crossing at Yale. I always feel like I am going to get rear ended there. I watched a guy going North the other day blow both Red lights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom