Old old black powder shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardly

Those old muzzle loaders are common to encounter loaded. On several occasions I have encountered muzzle loaders that were presented as empty and were in fact charged.

Also the fluxes used to mount the ribs were often acidic. Even if it was safe back in the day, it may have significant corrosion thinning between the barrels and in a place that is hidden from visual inspection. Shooting an antique double with an unknown charge is a poor choice on the best day.

Regarding checking for loaded, compare the internal distance from muzzle to breach to the external distance to the nipple. On most muzzle loaders it’s easy to do with the ram rod.

It’s not uncommon for shotguns to have a reduced diameter powder chamber and the larger head for pushing wads on a shotgun won’t pass into the chamber and can give a false impression that it’s loaded.

I would do the rod test with a 22 cleaning rod.
You can also try passing air through the nipples and confirm the bore is not obstructed.

If it’s charged and you can’t clear it safely yourself, pay someone to clear it or pass it up.

it’s far too common: someone assumes it’s empty and trys popping a cap for grins and giggles. They have an unanticipated discharge.
Charged muzzle loaders are also an issue for firefighters in house fires.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I got this old shotgun as a gift during a trade this evening. I wouldn’t fire it or even attempt to. I don’t even know if it’s loaded. If you want it please send me a pm. I’ll meet within a very short distance from Midwest city. If you want to throw five or ten my way for gas that would be nice. If not you can have it anyways.
I will take it and come to you to get it
you have my PM and Ph#

Last edited:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this old shotgun as a gift during a trade this evening. I wouldn’t fire it or even attempt to. I don’t even know if it’s loaded. If you want it please send me a pm. I’ll meet within a very short distance from Midwest city. If you want to throw five or ten my way for gas that would be nice. If not you can have it anyways.
Just pick a place between you and Tulsa, and I'll meet you there anytime. I'm retired and have been looking for a wall hanger like that. Thanks john. I'll buy your gas, and lunch, Be watching for your reply.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just pick a place between you and Tulsa, and I'll meet you there anytime. I'm retired and have been looking for a wall hanger like that. Thanks john. I'll buy your gas, and lunch, Be watching for your reply.
you sound like you want it pretty bad - you are welcome my bid if the guy ahead of you is ok with that

Latest posts

Top Bottom