Old Timers: what kind of beer did you drink when you were young?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soothsayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was talking to some friends about beer drinking when they were young. One who grew up in Western Pennsylvania, said he and his friends all drank Iron City Beer when they were young. Some guys on the West Coast drank Olympic and Rainier. I know lots of folks from Texas drank Lone Star and Pearl. Here in Oklahoma, there was no favorite regional brand that I know of (unless you count Coors from Colorado). What did you older (over 50) guys drink when you were young (and what part of the country did you grow up in)? I'm especially interested in any regional or smaller brands (not Budweiser, etc.).

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about Shiner Lager? I don't even know if they still make it anymore, now that they've gone hollywood. It came in a big picher at the Texas Union. It was cheap, and it would make you drunk.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
grew up in nova scotia, mile away from the moosehead brewery, Moosehead, Keifs IPA, molsen canadian, labatts blue, what ever we could find

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coors....
There was a weird mistique about Coors in the old days. It had to be refigerated from the brewery to the bar or the home or the picnic. It could never become hot or its specialness would be compromised.
I worked for a while in a gas station where the Coors vender displayed that horse piss in a huge pyramid in the middle of the floor because there was a big promotional event going on.
I ask the guy, "is it ok for this stuff to get hot?"
He looks at me like I'm ignernt, and he says, "Uhhhh... today it is."

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm 55 and originally from Detroit.

When I came of age I certainly drank the local beer; Goebel, Stroh's (then brewed in Detroit.) Since I also lived on the Canadian border I also drank Old Vienna, Labatt's Blue, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian and Carling Black Label.

Latest posts

Top Bottom