Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal opinion was that she simply said the words that needed to be said to get the people out of her office at that time. Now some slightly different words will be said about the "time not being quite right".

A "casual" supporter of the 2nd amendment is not ever going to support open carry. It's a watershed issue that way.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal opinion was that she simply said the words that needed to be said to get the people out of her office at that time. Now some slightly different words will be said about the "time not being quite right".

A "casual" supporter of the 2nd amendment is not ever going to support open carry. It's a watershed issue that way.

I agree. if she runs again, vote her out. If she does not run again, then wait till someone else comes in, and reintroduce the issue.
I think people not in favour of open carry are badly misinformed, or simply have a "fear" of guns and a "guilt" associated with guns, and fail to see them as tools.

Open carry is legal in many states and there is no "blood bath" there at all.
Why should it be illegal here in a "free state" if we consider ourselves so?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Rep. Tibbs that this is a serious matter and shouldn't be taken lightly. I would like to know what her specific concerns are, and what specific steps she is taking to remedy those concerns and/or find the will of the people in that respect.

I think I'll shoot off another email.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Her comments last session were "this needs further study" which is code for "we're brushing you off".

Further study implies that open carry is a rare phenomenon, which is the opposite of the facts.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent off 2 emails.

The first was to Rep. Tibbs, thanking her for her diligence in researching the Bill, and requesting what specifically in the Bill was of concern to her, as well as inquiring what things she has done to "investigate" the measures in other states. I reminded her (politely) that we do not feel this right should have ever been withheld from us and that we do not believe it is the State's role to attempt to supercede the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The second email was to Rep. Ritze in support of the Bill, thanking him for standing tall amongst his peers and encouraging him to seek out support from my own District's Representative (Rep. Sears, Bartlesville) and others, as well as to contact Rep. Tibbs to attempt to revive this measure.

I'd like to propose a joint effort amongst members of this forum (and others of like mind)...:

For those of us who have contacted our State Legislators, is there any way we can compile a list of who has responded in what way, so that we may cross-contact each others' Representatives to either thank and encourage them for their support, or to (gently) chastise them for their lack of support and encourage a change of heart? I can start, I suppose:

Rep. Mike Ritze (R - B.A., Bixby, Glenpool) - author of Bill

Rep. Earl Sears (R - Bartlesville, Nowata, Oglesby, Collinsville) - strong supporter of gun rights, interested in supporting either this Bill or a similar measure

Rep. Sue Tibbs (R - Alsuma, Union) - Chairperson of Public Safety Committee - reports support of gun rights, has not verbalized support of Open Carry - currently "investigating" and refusing to allow Bill to be heard in committee.

Anyone please feel free to contact these individuals, but once again, PLEASE do so in a respectful, educated and coherent manner. This will be much more effective in the long run in getting our point across as responsible, intelligent citizens in support of gun rights.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In continuing my email conversation with Ms. Tibbs I respnded to her with the following. Will let you know if she replies back.

Ms. Tibbs,

I appreciate your reply, thank you for taking the time to personally respond to my email.

Could you enlighten me as to what you felt was improper about the way the bill was written to go into our statutes?
What is it that you feel we could learn from other states and who's open carry laws have you been researching?
Is there going to be a hearing on an open carry bill next year before the summer break?

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.

Sincerely.

xxxxxx xxxxxx

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, two emails off so far. One to Rep. Sears and the other to Rep. Tibbs. I will patiently await for replies.

I urge everyone to email our Rep's. They sometimes need to remember that they derive their power to govern from the governed (i.e. All of us). Let 'em know it. Very politely of course.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, the way I understand it, this bill is still technically alive?

I guess I should add that one to my list. I'm getting ready to start drafting my letters for various bills to Rep. Todd Russ. I think this year I'll ask for more outward showing of support than I did my previous Representative.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rep. Sears replied to my email. He told me that he would want to read the entire bill before voting but he has no problem with open carry. He also mentioned that the bill never made it out of committee. I left the conversation open for now. I might have to give him a call depending upon Rep. Tibbs response.

Latest posts

Top Bottom