Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FTB44

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to have the choice, concealed is great for some situation and not for other. I do believe that concealed is best for most situations.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to have the choice, concealed is great for some situation and not for other. I do believe that concealed is best for most situations.

Exactly my position -- give me a choice, especially during hot weather when I would prefer to not have another layer. Otherwise, concealed offers many advantages.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly my position -- give me a choice, especially during hot weather when I would prefer to not have another layer. Otherwise, concealed offers many advantages.

Why would "open carry" take away "concealed carry"? What does one have to do with the other? Both should be allowed. IF you are allowed to bear arms openly, then you should be allowed to bear arms concealed certainly. Not sure why folks are bringing this up on this thread. THe right to concelaed carry is already recognized in the legislature here in OK.

I'm just going by the pesky little second amendment: you know the part about the right to keep AND BEAR arms not being INFRINGED, and all that.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Instead of prempting everyone's rights becasue of what someone might do and thereby limiting our freedom lets make damn sure someone understands that reckeless or careless or just plain stupid with a firearm would have dire consequences.
Let's punish mis-deed instead of might-deeds.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would "open carry" take away "concealed carry"? What does one have to do with the other? Both should be allowed. IF you are allowed to bear arms openly, then you should be allowed to bear arms concealed certainly. Not sure why folks are bringing this up on this thread. THe right to concelaed carry is already recognized in the legislature here in OK.

I'm just going by the pesky little second amendment: you know the part about the right to keep AND BEAR arms not being INFRINGED, and all that.

I don't see how my post that you quoted supports/endorses open carry to the exclusion of concealed carry. As you say both should be allowed: concealed carry by the SDA law and open carry by removing the prohibition of it in current law.

Are you familiar with the concept of "hoisted upon one's own petard"? Once you start talking about Keep and Bear Arms as a Second Amendment right, then logic says there is no need for laws to approve that which exists by right. You confuse the matter further with your final sentence of the first paragraph -- the SDA established a legal process by which Oklahomans could get the permission/license from the government to exercise the privilege of concealed carry, no right was recognized by the SDA.

Mr Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted on this forum. As to the "Open Carry" proposal I must admit I have mixed feelings on the issue, some of which I will post at a later date. PLEASE, everyone continue posting your support / opposition to open carry on this forum. I find I learn more by listening to your comments than I ever could "Brainstormiing" on my own. Thanks and keep posting.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received an email from Rep. Tibbs who chairs the committee this Bill is being held under. She was fairly non-committal:

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your letter regarding “Open Carry”. I appreciate your input as a citizen of Oklahoma into any legislation being considered.

I will be working with Dr. Ritze in the coming months to perfect his bill as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Sue Tibbs

Needless to say, I was relatively disappointed in the lack of... well... anything.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I emailed last year on this subject, and never received a response from her at all. Even some canned spam would have been nice since I actually live and vote in her district.

Ma'am,

After your succesful reelection in 2008 you as the public safety committe chair refused to hear HB1414.
I as a constituent in your district voted for you, my decision was based upon speaking to you during your campaign and being reassured that you were a proponent of the right to keep and bear arms.
As a hunter, shooting sports enthusiast, and being licensed in this state to carry a concealed weapon this is an important issue to me. I strongly urge you to reconsider your decision and hear HB1414 and allow it to go to a vote.

I can assure you that if HB1414 is held up by you and not heard before your reelection bid next year that you will not receive my vote.

Sincerely

xxxxxx xxxxxx

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting I have received a response to my above email.

It's definately not a canned form letter, maybe my voice does matter.

Dear Joshua,

Thank you for your email. First of all, let me say you certainly have a right to vote for whom ever you wish.

Secondly, there was a reason I did not hear HB 1414 last year. I, as chairman of the Public Safety Committee, have an obligation to all citizens of the State of Oklahoma to be sure what goes into our statutes are written in a proper way. I felt HB 1414 was a very serious matter and we could learn from other states that have already passed this kind of legislation. I have been doing research this summer.

Third, I too am a Second Amendment advocate. I own and carry guns, as I am also licensed to do so. If you think this is something I have taken lightly you are badly mistaken. I will be working with the author of that bill shortly.

I hope you have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Sincerely,

Sue Tibbs

State Representative

2300 N. Lincoln Boulevard, Room 303A

Oklahoma City, OK 73105

(405) 557-7379

(800) 522-8502 Ext. 379

Fax: (405) 962-7672

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
We got pretty much that response from her back in the Spring VIA the ORA delegation to the capitol. Somewhere on here it is in one of the threads from that time frame.
It was my understanding that She does not plan to seek reelection in 2010 so she may not care about what her constituents have to say.

Here is the thread from the first of the year that details HB 1414's adventures in the legislature.
http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44495&highlight=1414

Latest posts

Top Bottom