Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get the feeling it's not just Tibbs, but the rest of the senior House members who don't want to see this come to the floor.

From where do you get that feeling? Just curious. I don't disagree with you at all... I am sure there are a number of legislators who are extremely uncomfortable with the idea of open carry of firearms, and are also extremely uncomfortable with the general public in Oklahoma becoming aware of their squeamish stance on the matter. I believe the vast majority of law-abiding, responsible citizens support open carry, as do many of us on this board. Therefore, to let the general public know that one is anti-gun in any way is to essentially open oneself up to political disembowelment in this state.

Much much easier to put pressure on Rep. Tibbs to keep the bill "tabled" indefinitely rather than allow it to come to an open vote and be seen for the political panderer you are....

One more reason why letting a single committee member have so much power over a bill is a mistake, IMO. There should be something we or the Representatives can do to force the issue to be heard, discussed and voted upon.

And.... disappointingly, but not surprisingly... no further response from Rep. Tibbs regarding her specific objections or concerns about the bill, nor what she has done to investigate, as she claimed so long ago was her intent.

:teach:

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From where do you get that feeling?

Little birds tell me things. ;)

Or, you can just ask Mr Shooter...I'm sure he'll back me on this one. the problem is we have Republican majorities, but the caucus itself is divided into roughly three camps as I see it:

1) Actual conservative Republicans and Libertarians who run as Republicans. (Murphey, Ritze, Brogdon...yes I know he's a Senator but you get my meaning)
2) What I call COC (Chamber of Commerce) Republicans who may have conservative voting records, but are careful what they get to vote on, i.e. talk a good game but don't stick their necks out. (Tibbs, Speaker Benge)
3) RINO-why-are-you-even-pretending types (Lee Denney). May have been "real" Republicans once upon a time, or campaigned that way but haven't voted the "right" way for some time.

Group number 1 is willing to actually pursue a course of action designed to achieve a greater degree of freedom amidst the proper role of government. they usually are easy to reach and willing to talk to their constituents in other than form-letter format.

Group 2 wants to pursue "economic development" while group 1 understands you wouldn't have to if taxes were low, and government wasn't up in everyone's bidness.

Group 3 is usually beholden to some other master like higher ed lobbys, etc and don't represent the population, but the power base.

I'm grossly oversimplifying this, of course, and welcome discussion.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the vast majority of law-abiding, responsible citizens support open carry, as do many of us on this board.

As an informal poll of my friends on Facebook, I sent invites to the Oklahomans for Open Carry group to every one of them. I was actually quite surprised at quite a few who accepted the invite because they have openly spoke to me against concealed carry. I think their fear there is not the guns, but rather not knowing exactly how many people around them have them.

Mr Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or, you can just ask Mr Shooter...I'm sure he'll back me on this one. the problem is we have Republican majorities, but the caucus itself is divided into roughly three camps as I see it: "Mons Meg"

I agree MM, the only thing you forgot is, last year all three groups acted like little schoolboys throwing rocks at each other on the playground. LOL
(Truthfully, I stole this comment from one of our members, but it's true.)
I can't wait for November!:rubhands:

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MM - thanks for your useful insights:
the caucus itself is divided into roughly three camps as I see it:

1) Actual conservative Republicans and Libertarians who run as Republicans. (Murphey, Ritze, Brogdon...yes I know he's a Senator but you get my meaning)
2) What I call COC (Chamber of Commerce) Republicans who may have conservative voting records, but are careful what they get to vote on, i.e. talk a good game but don't stick their necks out. (Tibbs, Speaker Benge)
3) RINO-why-are-you-even-pretending types (Lee Denney). May have been "real" Republicans once upon a time, or campaigned that way but haven't voted the "right" way for some time.

I wonder if there isn't also a fourth "outside" element - powerful individuals or groups who are rabidly opposed to any increase in gun rights. This is just speculation on my part. I've heard that David Boren might fit this description.

Does the Brady Campaign (or similar groups) exert influence over Oklahoma state politics through campaign contributions?

Totally agree with your assessment of Lee Denney. As she leaves office, it will be interesting to see what job opens magically opens up for her. Perhaps a specially created executive position with OSU?? Some might say she carried a lot of water for OSU with her opposition to campus concealed carry.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dale00, I was limiting my observations to the Republican House caucus. Although you bring up an interesting point. NYC Mayor Bloomberg ran originally as a Republican, didn't he? n I don't think Boren could hope to match Bloomberg's level of meddling in the lives of others.

Toe: We're really just waiting for the next session to fire up.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gotten no further reply from Rep Tibbs regarding specifics on this bill. Call me suspicious, but I just don't trust most of these people. Not sure what else I can do about it... I would like to hear from other members about their responses from their own Reps, as I mentioned above. I'd be happy to make more emails encouraging other Reps to support the bill, but would like to have an inkling of their stance on the matter first.

See my post here.

Come on, guys, we need to get to work on these legislators and get Oklahoma back on the wagon when it comes to no longer trampling on our Constitution!

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We need to understand that we have to keep the pressure up EVERY session. It won't pass this time, or next time, or the next, but enough of these clown get term-limited and replaced by fresh faces and we'll start seeing more bravery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom