Open Carry OK HB1414

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glockcop you do have a very valid point. Also I want to remind everyone that if open carry does pass most stores will probably put up no firearms signs. Yes you will have the right to open carry but if you carry in a store/building (private property) that does not allow firearms you can be asked to leaver and or arrested for trespassing.

Like I have said before I do support a regulated style of open carry, not the complete unregulated style that some people would like.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will admit I was a bit concerned during the range part of SDA class, I would guess about 15% had never shot any type of firearm before and 40 to 50% had minimal experience. We need to educate and promote whenever we can

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
let me just say I am not opposed to open carry in any way but I do agree with allot of this... LE has many hours of training on retention and proper gear! and they are also required to "qualify" with whatever they are going to be carrying. I personally may never open carry if it were to pass, but if I did I would seriously look at my gear and make sure that it will not be a possibility for someone else to walk up behind me and attempt to use it against me. Because open carry only lets the serious criminal know now who does have a gun and can then attempt to take it. Even LE has to deal with psycho's that think they can take the gun from trained LE. now the psycho's have untrained people carrying openly. Many of us ccw holders spend lots of time training and doing research so that we stay informed and ready. mostly what I see here (between all the names!) is that tacmedic agrees that most people that get their ccw don't follow through with periodic training and gear research and now they want to legally "brandish" their weapons because its "cool".

Again, many states have open carry and none of this is a problem there. Thye probably have "gangbangers" there too that carry openly, or then again, maybe not. Maybe gangbangers are smarter than that and and don;t want to draw attention to themselves in an armed society.

We should all have faith in the judgement of people, just like the Constitution does. No one is better than anyone else. That's what makes the 2A a great equalizer. Power to the people. You don;t have to be an ace marksman to be allowed to carry or physically able to stop someone from seizing your weapon.

I hope folks realize that many anti RKBA and anti 2A folks use a similar argument to what I see some people making here, when they say that the average citizen cannot be "trusted" to carry or even keep a forearm, and hence all forearms should be banned. If I was physically weaker than someone else, I would rather HAVE the firearm, even if they were "trained" in its use and I was not. It comes down to giving every person the ability to make their own decisions and not taking away their choices. That's what the Constitution is about. Power should not be only in the hands of the "elite" or the "trained".
It's human nature, once you get a little bit of "training" to try to gather power in your hands. The Constitution is a good way to get a reality check and realize all US Citizens have power over their fate and make their own choices.
Not just the "trained" ones.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really thought about like that, a very good point. I have only thought about it as a 2A issue and I'm also lazy, open is easier. I seem to draw flames lately so suit is on.

Welcome to OSA!! LOL Anybody with more than 20 posts has been in the hot seat at least once it seems ... :oops3:

As for the issue at hand, while I too believe that open carry would be so much easier, I personally would not open carry. It's got nothing to do with the cops harassing me (though heaven knows they are welcome too LOL), I just see no reason to give the BGs that kind of heads up. YMMV

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will admit I was a bit concerned during the range part of SDA class, I would guess about 15% had never shot any type of firearm before and 40 to 50% had minimal experience. We need to educate and promote whenever we can

I helped run the shooting portion of the SDA classes at a local range for about 18 months. IMHO, your numbers are very, very generous. :sorry4: I would say closer to 25-35 percent had never shot before and 60-80 percent had minimal experience.

People scare me.

dhomoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Frankly this is a red herring. I have lived in two open carry states, it is not an issue. It isn't really tactically unsound either. I used to carry my P-14 open all the time at Walmart in Springfield, VA. Most times nobody even noticed. There was a case in 2009 in Richmond, VA of a robbery that happened, where a patron open carrying a Colt Navy with 7.5" barrel. The robber didn't even notice the guy until he opened up on him.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't quality the bearing of arms that to bear it must be concealed. Open carry is a valid method. Why should I even have to get at permit to exercise a right? Do you need a permit to practice your religion or to exercise free speech? Of course not, we would be outraged if they try. Freedom and liberty comes with risk. As Ronald Reagan said in his farewell address "When government expands, liberty contracts." Anytime the government puts limits on rights you lose your freedoms. Any argument for restricting liberty is an argument against your natural rights.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To dhomoney; agree completely. When we "allow limits" on rights we might as well give them up completely. Once they are gone they won't come back.

When we see a cop carrying in Wal mart, why doesn't that make us "feel" uneasy? Because we have trust in law enforcement to do the right thing.

Even without proof of authenticity we still trust because of the way we have been "conditioned"

That same conditioning causes us to "feel" uneasy when we see street clothes with a holstered weapon, until we see the handcuffs or badge, then it's cool. Again without proof of authenticity.

It's us vs them, they are not smart enough, they are not trained enough, they are not to be trusted, they don't have the right, and we can tell all this just by lookin???

Passage of the SDA didn't produce OK Corral type shoot outs, despite the predictions of the brady kids, and loosening restrictions on concealment won't either.

I'm a bit older than most o you here but some of these same opinions were raised when women started wearing pants to church, it boils down to conditioning.

good day

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am for open carry!!! I don't have a cc permit because I am not asking the state permision to exersice my rights! Any one against open carry is no patriot! What other rights end at your door step?

Brother Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is very interesting. I am amazed at the number of people that see others as unqualified to carry, open or concealed, except themselves of course. I have been associated with law enforcement officers from police, sheriff and prison staff for many years(over 40). That includes family and friends. If their training is any indication of what we should require of those that carry then I feel very good about most concealed carry people I know.
I can count on one hand the number of officers that fire their weapon beyond their qualification requirements. The "unwashed" citizen that I have trained with shot more rounds in one weekend of training than most police officers fire in a year or more. I could be wrong about the officers in Oklahoma as I am certain that allof them practice constantly and do force on force training as well as retention training...beyond that one class that they were required to take at the academy.
I have had the same experience with seeing new shooters at concealed carry classes. I would have liked for them to have taken basic gun handling classes before they came to the course but they came to be trained at the concealed carry course instead. Some of them did not even know about the NRA course or others, they just wanted to be "legal" when they decide to carry a firearm. One interesting episode I saw was at USSA in basic hangun course. The woman taking the course had never fired her pistol, never loaded it to the best of my recollection, yet by the end of the course she was shooting better than some with much more experience. The instructor took the time to work with her because she was there to learn and she did everything he told her to do and had no "bad" habits to overcome.
Just so I don't get flamed to bad, I support the open carry but would still carry concealed most of the time but it would be great to have to opportunity to express my 2nd amendment rights.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my thoughts exactly definately dont want some nut job open carrying just because now he can. This is kind of a hard subject as you have licensed conceal carry holders who have already taken a class and went through the motions to be completely legal. If this bill gets passed it should be somewhat of the same way to get your conceal carry i believe solely for the fact to deter the goofballs and maybe even be more acceptable by the general public that dont like firearms.

I'll be getting my CCW regardless just my thoughts on the subject.

ditto here...Personally I prefer concealed as I don't like to draw attention to myself but I would consider open carry in some places.

Latest posts

Top Bottom