Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FLOOR AMENDMENTS FOR HB1796 POSTED

There are 9 floor amendments for HB1796 from Rep. Steve Martin, Rep. Mike Ritze, Rep. Mike Reynolds, Rep. Lewis Moore, Rep. David Derby, and Rep. John Bennett. Most either remove the ballot provisions or add a reasonable fear provision to the Unlawful Carry statute.

While this is the same reasonable fear provision that was in HB1647, it is additional to the handgun license, meaning it basically offers an emergency option for carrying a firearm without a license.

The amendment that stands out is FA7 by Rep. David Derby. It basically repeals virtually all Oklahoma firearm laws and add this new one:

“SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1291<Section No.><> of Title 21<Title No.><>, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

Oklahoma shall be a Second Amendment state. All citizens have the individual right to keep and bear arms for his or her protection.

Persons or entities who prevent a citizen from exercising his or her individual Second Amendment rights are assuming the liability for protecting such citizen.

Any citizen of Oklahoma may request an endorsement on his or her Oklahoma driver license to serve as a concealed carry permit for recognition in this state and other states.”​

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FLOOR AMENDMENTS FOR HB1796 POSTED

There are 9 floor amendments for HB1796 from Rep. Steve Martin, Rep. Mike Ritze, Rep. Mike Reynolds, Rep. Lewis Moore, Rep. David Derby, and Rep. John Bennett. Most either remove the ballot provisions or add a reasonable fear provision to the Unlawful Carry statute.

While this is the same reasonable fear provision that was in HB1647, it is additional to the handgun license, meaning it basically offers an emergency option for carrying a firearm without a license.

The amendment that stands out is FA7 by Rep. David Derby. It basically repeals virtually all Oklahoma firearm laws and add this new one:

“SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 1291<Section No.><> of Title 21<Title No.><>, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

Oklahoma shall be a Second Amendment state. All citizens have the individual right to keep and bear arms for his or her protection.

Persons or entities who prevent a citizen from exercising his or her individual Second Amendment rights are assuming the liability for protecting such citizen.

Any citizen of Oklahoma may request an endorsement on his or her Oklahoma driver license to serve as a concealed carry permit for recognition in this state and other states.”​

This almost soounds too good to be true. Am I missing something?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Confusing to me. Are all amendments possibilities? Or did they choose one? Or?

All floor amendments may be considered in the order that the presiding officer recognizes members. Once an amendment passes against a certain section, another amendment to change that specific language cannot be considered.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wrote to Rep Osborn this morning and i got her reply after lunch.

I wrote:
Representative Osborn,

I am writing to express my excitement over recent developments with the amendments to this bill, FA7 to be specific.
I have no idea how much of a chance this bill has of making it into law but I am doing all I can to support such a great 2A bill.
My question to you is, will you support it as well?
Currently, and you may know this, there are 4 other states that have similar Constitutional Carry laws with WY being the most recent to bring back the states 2A rights that are granted to all of us by the US constitution. What a milestone it would be for OK to become the 5th state to do this. I can see more people wanting to live in OK with legislation maneuvers like this, conversely, I can see more people leaving OK if our rights continue to be regulated so heavily.
Please do all you can to support the passage of this bill and I will continue to support you in future political ventures.

Clay Henry
Tuttle, OK

She replyed:
Mr. Henry,
I am always in support of second amendment bills, in fact we just passed the bill
By Rep. Enns that would allow people with a ccp to carry their firearms to a career tech
Parking lot and leave it in their vehicles. I have my ccp and support open carry.
Thank you, Rep. Osborn

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy who is lead in the Open carry dot org petition drive and is on a local committee for 2A rights said he had a meeting with 2 senators and a Rep. the other day discussing these amendments. He said the Senate leader has stated he won't see any 2A bills this session so we need to bombard his in-box with emails.

Latest posts

Top Bottom