Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Votes and Engrossed version finally available:

VOTES

ENGROSSED BILL

Code:
YEAS:   36

Aldridge          Burrage           Jolley            Reynolds         
    Allen             Crain             Justice           Russell          
    Anderson          David             Lerblance         Schulz           
    Barrington        Ellis             Marlatt           Shortey          
    Bingman           Fields            Mazzei            Simpson          
    Branan            Ford              Myers             Sparks           
    Brecheen          Garrison          Newberry          Stanislawski     
    Brinkley          Holt              Nichols           Sykes             
    Brown             Johnson, R.       Paddack           Treat            

NAYS:    8

Ballenger         Eason Mc          Laster            Wilson           
    Bass              Halligan          Rice              Wyrick            

EXCUSED:    4

Adelson           Coates            Ivester           Johnson, C.      

NOT VOTING:    0

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SENATE UPDATE:

I apologize for not catching the floor substitute that was made to SB129 on March 3rd. The floor substitute used the unlicensed open carry language, but kept the title stricken. It passed today 36-8, but with the title stricken it still has to go back to the Senate if the House concurs.

ETA: Possibly passed with restored title. Trying to find out now.

ETA2: Senate contacts believe it to still be stricken. The language allows for unlicensed open carry by anyone 18 years of age or older.

Apologies for my ignorance but the SB 129 you linked seems to be about hunting and not anything about open carry. Is this the bill that passed the senate today that somehow authorizes unlicensed carry by anyone 18 and up? This is not the bill that would require a vote on the ballot is it? After reading comments on news9s facebook page, a ballot initiative is NOT what we want. To many naive and stupid people out there.

Mirge

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apologies for my ignorance but the SB 129 you linked seems to be about hunting and not anything about open carry. Is this the bill that passed the senate today that somehow authorizes unlicensed carry by anyone 18 and up? This is not the bill that would require a vote on the ballot is it? After reading comments on news9s facebook page, a ballot initiative is NOT what we want. To many naive and stupid people out there.

According to what I read within the bill itself... it would allow open carry to residents 18+ years of age.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Read the Engrossed bill I put in my most recent post. That is what they voted on today. They had a floor substitute that struck the hunting bill and replaced it with an open carry bill. SB129 is unlicensed open carry for individuals 18+.

And no, it is not the ballot bill (HB1796). That has yet to be considered, and there are at least 10 pending floor amendments, most of which remove the ballot provision and one that repeals the SDA, Unlawful Carry, Fireams Act of 1971, and nearly all other Oklahoma firearm laws.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the Engrossed bill I put in my most recent post. That is what they voted on today. They had a floor substitute that struck the hunting bill and replaced it with an open carry bill. SB129 is unlicensed open carry for individuals 18+.

And no, it is not the ballot bill (HB1796). That has yet to be considered, and there are at least 10 pending floor amendments, most of which remove the ballot provision and one that repeals the SDA, Unlawful Carry, Fireams Act of 1971, and nearly all other Oklahoma firearm laws.

You, obviously, know quite a bit about these bills and amendments. In your opinion, which ones are worthwhile and I should contact my representatives to voice my support for? Are any of these bills or amendments dangerous or cavalier and, therefore, we should not support them? Thanks.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You, obviously, know quite a bit about these bills and amendments. In your opinion, which ones are worthwhile and I should contact my representatives to voice my support for? Are any of these bills or amendments dangerous or cavalier and, therefore, we should not support them? Thanks.

HB1796 is the only House open carry bill still alive in form from committee. There were no Senate open carry bills still alive. However, all bills can be amended on the floor. The deadline for a bill to be voted on it its chamber of origin is this Thursday.

SB129 is a good example of a floor amendment giving us a surprise. As I said earlier, I saw a retweet on Twitter from a Tulsa World reporter that the Senate was considering an open carry bill. I tried to get a response back on what it was, but got nothing. My contacts at the Capitol have been in the House most of this session since that seems to be where all the real action is so far.

Anyways, I spent about a half hour trying to track down what open carry measure she could have been talking about. That's when I came across the floor amendments to SB129 - one to replace the hunting bill with language allowing individuals 18+ to carry openly without a license, and one to reinstate the title that had been stricken. According to the Senate Journal, the amendment to reinstate the title was not considered.

By the way, when I was looking for that, I came across a page that had all electronically transmitted documents before they were added to the bill's page on OKLegislature.gov. I can't seem to find it now.

In my opinion, legislators should support any floor amendment for HB1796 the strikes the ballot provision and (of course) keeps the title and enacting clause intact (I don't recall any of them removing it). If we were in utopia, I'd say go for broke and take FA7 which makes Oklahoma a 100% Constitutional Carry state, but I HIGHLY DOUBT that would pass. But why not try? (Here's my summary on the plethora of amendments to HB1796.)

Obviously, you should call your Representatives and urge them to support SB129, and make sure to get someone to file an amendment to reinstate the title.

By the way, the discharge petition for HB1647 passed. Call your Representatives and urge them to NOT support it without an amendment to remove the so-called "open carry language". The language in there only allows open carry if you can articulate a reasonable fear of bodily harm.

I'll try to find more information about floor amendments pertaining to open carry in the House tomorrow morning (if there are any). The one for SB129 was the only open carry related one I could find in the Senate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom