Open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirge

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that the ballot part has been removed it's not a problem but I was speaking with Rep. Ritze a day prior to the ammendments.

With it changed this is no longer an issue, but here's my reasoning against it, which was shared by our representatives and is why the ballot provision was stricken:

Most people don't understand the implications of a referendom on open carry. I would almost guarantee that it would not pass a vote of the people, but even that isn't the biggest problem. The biggest problem is the level of debate that would rage in Oklahoma over such a vote. It would make SQ 744 look like we were holding hands and singing cumbaya. We'd have groups like the brady campaign, MAIG, FOP, etc, all lobbying here against it. Outside groups would be coming from out-of-state to put their nose in our business. What's worse, if open carry would have failed a vote of the public, it would probably be permanently dead, as it would get no traction in the state legislature after public rejection, especially after the populace had been polarized against guns by the out-of-state anti-gun groups.

In the long run, it would've been a bad thing.

@bold: ahh ok, makes sense

yeah, I agree. I have my doubts about it passing public vote... even a lot of CCW permit holders don't want open carry for WHATEVER reason... even if you don't plan on OC'ing, don't restrict the rights of others.

Peacemaker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Concerning the open ballot.....

This is a way to have the rights of the minority overridden by the whims of the majority which is exactly why our forefathers implemented a republic instead of a democracy. A republic, if implemented rightly, has the ability to protect the rights of the minority. No amount of votes should ever pry my gun from my holster.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that the ballot part has been removed it's not a problem but I was speaking with Rep. Ritze a day prior to the ammendments.

Keep in mind it has NOT been stricken yet, although I'm sure one of the ballot provision striking floor amendments will pass.

The bill MUST be considered in the House by Thursday (deadline for consideration of bills in chamber of origin).

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First day and no vote yet. I believe we have until Thursday until we find out if our open carry bill gets through the House, hopefully with the amendment to remove the open ballot for 2012.

Correct. We've got until Thursday for this bill. Of course, either chamber could add an amendment striking another bill and inserting the same language in lieu thereof.

Latest posts

Top Bottom