Open Cary...would it be wrong to legislate some comon sense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORA Frank

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any opinion I give is my personal one just to clear that up lol. If it's official I'll say it, hopefully that will make my life less complicated lol. I do not personally think any new gun/holster laws are needed we have enough as it is. Do I think it's smart to carry in a jacked up holster, hell no. But that's their ass on the line not mine. We do not need "common sense laws" we need people to wake the hell up and use "common sense"

ORA Frank

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say because I know it for a fact first hand, the ORA supports open carry and no one fights harder to defend our 2A then the ORA! I know I know go ahead, but I live it everyday I know the facts and the truth. I am not trying to argue just giving the other side of the story that's all.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to say because I know it for a fact first hand, the ORA supports open carry and no one fights harder to defend our 2A then the ORA! I know I know go ahead, but I live it everyday I know the facts and the truth. I am not trying to argue just giving the other side of the story that's all.

Dear Representative:

On Saturday March 19th the Officers and Board Members of the Oklahoma Rifle Association held our Board Meeting in Shawnee OK. At this meeting pending firearms legislation at the Oklahoma Legislature was discussed.

It was the intent of the Oklahoma Rifle Association to remain in a position of neutrality on the “Open Carry” legislation as many of our members support some form of open carry. The Officers and Board Members of the ORA are in agreement with the “Open Carry” concept but, after much discussion, the majority of the Board Members and Officers, voted to oppose Senate Bill 129 by Senator Russell and Representative Osborne. This bill, in it’s present form, would allow those 18 years of age and older, to purchase and carry loaded Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns openly in a scabbard, with a sling, or a handgun in a holster, anywhere not in violation of Title 21, subsection A of Section 1277, without a back ground check and without training.

The Officers and Board Members are in opposition to SB 129 for these reasons:

First, The purchase of handguns by persons under the age of 21 is in violation of existing Federal Law. Second, Allowing citizens, trained or untrained, to carry Rifles and Shotguns either in a scabbard or with a sling on city streets and into business establishments will create an atmosphere of hostility and distrust, not to mention create fear in those in our society who have an aversion to any type of firearm. Third, The apprehension, created for the Law Enforcement Officers by the open carrying of long guns could create situations resulting in unnecessary use of deadly force. For these reasons we ask you to vote against SB 129 when it comes to the floor of the House of Representatives. Sincerely,

Don Scott, President, Oklahoma Rifle Association

Paul W. Abel,

Legislative Director, Oklahoma Rifle Association

This is the reason I say they didn't support it. They said they did, but then turned around and gave a bunch of BS reasons on why the bill should not be passed, none of which were based in fact. I wonder if they still think it's a violation of federal law for an 18 year old to purchase a handgun?

ORA Frank

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Travis, yes there were parts of the bill that the ORA did not agree with. They do agree and battled for OC in Oklahoma. What they didn't want is liberal anti gun people freaking out and hurting the cause. Unfortunately pro 2A people are not the only ones in office. If you push to much to hard then they start yelling extremist and as we seen with Obamas reelection people will jump on the band wagon. We all want the same thing I am a die hard "Don't tread on me" "From my cold dead hands" 2A guy. But it has to be in steps or we take the chance of losing what we have gained. Remember how often do you hear a firearm was used in self defense or to save people, never! But let one bullet fly from a bad guy and it's all over the media. There is nothing wrong with wanted trained people and it's a clear message to anti gunners that we simply love our constitution and want to abide by it. Yes 18 year olds can purchase from friends and family. But they cannot carry nor purchase at retail until the age of 21. So it would violate the law and would have failed in house any way. I hope this helps, I was one of the people mad about it until I got the facts. I wrote some bad letters to leadership and then read and reread the bill and talked with legislators. It was the correct stance with the bill as it was written. The ORA fought for OC but wanted it done right so there were no repercussions. I hope this helps, thanks for being cool about it, it gets old being threatened over something that is misunderstood. Again we all want the same thing hopefully we can get through this and start fighting as one again someday!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, we went through this when it was all going on. The ORA allegedly "supported" Open Carry, but only with preconditions. What we got was a watered down version that isn't as supportive of our full 2nd Amendment rights as some other states have had for decades.

The reasoning given for conditional support buy the ORA is incrementalism to overcome objections. This has allowed Oklahoma anti-gun legislators a bit of cover for their beliefs.

ORA Frank, I appreciate your support for Open Carry as an individual. However, our beef here on OSA with the ORA is multi-faceted. We had a couple of other reps for the ORA join up here to carry the ORA banner and it didn't last all that long or work very well. From the outside the ORA "leadership" appears entrenched and anachronistic.

I could go into all the details, but it's just not worth it. Perhaps someone with some more time could pull up all the threads and whatnot. :(

ORA Frank

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's fine, I honestly did not join for any reason other than to be a part of the 2A community because I love it. I only commented on it because there were a lot of things said that just were not true or factual so i said my piece. I just know from dealing with it personally what the truth is and tried to convey that. I am not here to argue or debate but to join in. But I am fine with anyone wanting to ask questions or discuss things. I think, because of my involvement that a lot of you are wrong about the ORA but you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Okay so moving on to free float rails in firearms discussion I need opinions. I am glad to be here!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid that ORA got out of touch with the average gun owner a very long time ago. I believe that is why sites like OSA have been so successful and why OK2A.org has become the voice of gun owners at the state capital.

Latest posts

Top Bottom