Opinions on pistol caliber carbines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Hinkle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regretting selling my Beretta CX4 carbine. Looking for replacement. Opinions on Ruger, CZ, H&K, Hi Point? No AR platforms or lever action.
Its all about what you want to spend and what your goals are. A pcc can be good for home defense, but unless you are going with a "braced pistol" you should absolutely just have something in 5.56. The CZ scorpions are cool and I've only heard good things. H&k's are obviously slick but you are paying a lot for it and (while its technically an AR9) you can get cheaper radial-depayed blowback in a Banshee. I'd also look at the Grand Powet Stribog, I hear the early radial delayed models had some issues but even if they haven't ironed those out I've never heard anything bad about the direct blowback models.

If you are the DIY type, buy a mac upper and fire up the 3d printer. You can make some insanely fun/cool stuff.

But again, unless its just a plinker there is absolutely no reason for a pcc to have a barrel longer than 10" (and honestly 7"). Hell even if its a plinker just.... why. Tangible weight and storage costs for no upside

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its all about what you want to spend and what your goals are. A pcc can be good for home defense, but unless you are going with a "braced pistol" you should absolutely just have something in 5.56. The CZ scorpions are cool and I've only heard good things. H&k's are obviously slick but you are paying a lot for it and (while its technically an AR9) you can get cheaper radial-depayed blowback in a Banshee. I'd also look at the Grand Powet Stribog, I hear the early radial delayed models had some issues but even if they haven't ironed those out I've never heard anything bad about the direct blowback models.

If you are the DIY type, buy a mac upper and fire up the 3d printer. You can make some insanely fun/cool stuff.

But again, unless its just a plinker there is absolutely no reason for a pcc to have a barrel longer than 10" (and honestly 7"). Hell even if its a plinker just.... why. Tangible weight and storage costs for no upside
Ap5s (mp5 clones on hk equipment made by mke) cost less than cmmg banshees. Ap5 suppresses better than the banshee (I have the mkgs model, so takes Glock mags) and the banshee suppresses quite well.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ap5s (mp5 clones on hk equipment made by mke) cost less than cmmg banshees. Ap5 suppresses better than the banshee (I have the mkgs model, so takes Glock mags) and the banshee suppresses quite well.
The roller delayed system is the best semi/full auto system to suppress IMO/IME.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SP5, SP5K are difficult to beat. For those (myself included) who take the PCC language literally, I do have a 16 barrel AR9 that I put together with one of the billet OSA lowers, set up to take Glock mags. That thing is seriously fun. Sadly, even though I have all the equipment to do it, I still haven't shot it suppressed. It'd be a long boy with my can on the end of it, but I think it'd be pretty fun.

Vigilance OKC

Marksman
Reaction score
Regretting selling my Beretta CX4 carbine. Looking for replacement. Opinions on Ruger, CZ, H&K, Hi Point? No AR platforms or lever action.
I feel your pain. I owned a CX4 and had to sell it when I moved to a communist state. Last year I found one on Gunbroker and bought it. I ‘m super glad to have it back. Mine has the 92 30rd magazine adapter that goes nicely with my M9A3. I think the CX4 is one of the best and overlooked carbines out there. Bud’s Gun Shp has them in stock new for $734. You can get them in FDE as well. I would recommend getting another one. The only thing I need to do is get my barrel threaded.

The only other carbine I’m seriously considering is the H&K SP5 but that is a whole different financial commitment.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too have an AK-V, like @OK Corgi Rancher and it's the most fun gun I own, to shoot. Yeah she's a hefty one, but all the better to keep you warm on those cold nights. Well built, it simply doesn't give me problems.

PXL_20210505_203507809.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I still had my Commando Arms MkIV. Was not accurate but when it was not jamming it was fun to shoot.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be interested if it was a single shot or bolt action with wood stock. I absolutely can't stand these plastic fantastic abominations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom