OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I get a chance, I'll post a few pictures of lighthouses that we saw in Oregon back a few years ago. I was also online last night checking for lighthouse tours here in the Rhode Island area, and it seems that there is one that takes one around the bay between Warwick and Newport and goes by 10 different lighthouses. I may have to look into that one. I think the fee is only something like $37 per person for us old-timers.

As mentioned in the above, here are some lighthouses that we saw in Oregon.

First off is Hecata Head Lighthouse. The lighthouse is still operational, but the "residence" has been sold, and I think it was a bed and breakfast type place when we were there. When photographing lighthouses, I try to get images with and without the light shining.

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse

Yaquine Head Lighthouse

Umpqua River Lighthouse

Coquille River Lighthouse

Lastly, one that I couldn't get close enough to get good pictures. This one is now on tribal lands. It is the Cape Arago Lighthouse. It is located near Charleston, OR and this image was taken from near Sunset Bay State Park.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
As mentioned in the above, here are some lighthouses that we saw in Oregon.

First off is Hecata Head Lighthouse. The lighthouse is still operational, but the "residence" has been sold, and I think it was a bed and breakfast type place when we were there. When photographing lighthouses, I try to get images with and without the light shining.

Yaquina Bay Lighthouse

Yaquine Head Lighthouse

Umpqua River Lighthouse

Coquille River Lighthouse

Lastly, one that I couldn't get close enough to get good pictures. This one is now on tribal lands. It is the Cape Arago Lighthouse. It is located near Charleston, OR and this image was taken from near Sunset Bay State Park.

That Yaquina Bay lighthouse is awesome!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Montauk Point and Fire Island lighthouses were visual aids for navigation when my dad and I fished those waters off of Long Island.

IMG_7438.jpeg
IMG_7548.jpeg
IMG_7550.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I‘ve never watched a single episode of American Idol, but several weeks ago, I randomly found a video clip online from this season of a morbidly obese Hawaiian kid playing guitar and singing that really touched me. I’ve tried to follow him via utube, and I just found out this morning that he won. His name is Iam Tongi, and his late father inspired and encouraged him to sing and play guitar. This may not be something that interests anyone else, but he has a cool story and is a really good singer and musician.
If you google Iam Tongi, the videos should come up.
I’m a huge, major fan of the talent shows. Do not watch any of the drivel presented on tv that most gush over.
I want to see the real deal and how they improve/develop over time. Reality TV that’s real and not scripted. They make it or lose it on their talent. No different than racing, competitive shooting, or whatever is real stuff where people overcome and adapt to go to the top of their game.
Iam won it IMHO during the tribute segment, singing about his dad I think it was when he almost completely broke down.
The nation felt his pain.
This is America. These are real people.
People that are aspiring to be the best they can be and willing to work their butt off to achieve it.
Kudos to everyone from day one to the finish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best place I've found for meatload is "Bricktown Brewery".
We had a meatloaf in Wichita Ks at a place by the Boing air field that was awesome.
I think it was a normal meatloaf that added lots of jalapeños and mushrooms, sliced and then put on the flat grill to brown before serving. Dang, that was good.
That’s the way I serve meatloaf now every time I make it now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from the cardio appt at the VA. Cardio Doc looks at me and asks 'Why are you here, because I certainly don't know why you were referred to see me?'

I've had my thyroid function checked, went through two separate heart monitoring sessions using a portable monitor that I had to wear 24/7 for two-weeks each time, a Sleep Apnea study while being hooked-up to a monitor overnight, several EKG's, a heart ultrasound, a heart stress test ('tilt-board'), MRI, multiple blood draws, countless (it seems) BP, O2, and pulse checks, as well as being put on BP and 'blood thinner' medication as a precaution - all because of a possible Atrial Fibrillation episode detected while I was being prepped for my second Cataract Surgery several month ago.

Results of all this is that I may have had a [relatively common] Atrial Flutter. No Sleep Apnea found, 02 normal, pulse normal, EKG normal, Thyroid normal, and blood work-up normal to include low cholesterol. Only problems found seems to be that I'm slightly overweight (25lb +-) and have a slightly elevated BP (126/81 vs 120/80), both of which will be controlled through simple diet/activity change. Not too shabby for a 73 yr old with an attitude :laugh6:
I’m a fan of the OkC VA.
My wife is as well, calling them bull dogs when getting care.
We both think the reason is because they are attached to the OU med center that is the #1 trauma center in Ok.
The new Doctors out of med school are full of the latest information, doing their residency at OU, spending a couple days a week at the VA as part of their resident training, wanting to make a difference in the medical community. They want to practice what they have learned.
Of course, there is a supervisory Doctor there to back them up and they have been called in on occasion when the doctor in residence has some question’s which is good for me!
The new Dr’s learn as well.
Other VA hospitals and clinics do not have the reputation the one in OKC does. Exactly the opposite in most instances.
They get the doctors that can’t make it in private practice Or washouts in supported supported hospital clinics.
That’s where Veterans get trashed healthcare.
Walter Reed Hospital which is supposed to be top of the line, had major issues with black mold and rotting walls during the gulf war times which became a big issue when parents and friends of the vets became aware of it during visits.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/booming/and-this-was-called-care-the-walter-reed-story.htmlNo replies please in this thread about Walter Reed. If you want to create another thread in the politics, please do so to comment on this issue.
Positive comments about the OU med center much appreciated.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the OkC VA.
My wife is as well, calling them bull dogs when getting care.
We both think the reason is because they are attached to the OU med center that is the #1 trauma center in Ok.
The new Doctors out of med school are full of the latest information, doing their residency at OU, spending a couple days a week at the VA as part of their resident training, wanting to make a difference in the medical community. They want to practice what they have learned.
Of course, there is a supervisory Doctor there to back them up and they have been called in on occasion when the doctor in residence has some question’s which is good for me!
The new Dr’s learn as well.
Other VA hospitals and clinics do not have the reputation the one in OKC does. Exactly the opposite in most instances.
They get the doctors that can’t make it in private practice Or washouts in supported supported hospital clinics.
That’s where Veterans get trashed healthcare.
Walter Reed Hospital which is supposed to be top of the line, had major issues with black mold and rotting walls during the gulf war times which became a big issue when parents and friends of the vets became aware of it during visits.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/booming/and-this-was-called-care-the-walter-reed-story.htmlNo replies please in this thread about Walter Reed. If you want to create another thread in the politics, please do so to comment on this issue.
Positive comments about the OU med center much appreciated.
This ^^^ . The ophthalmic surgeon that did my [1st] cataract removal was finishing-up his residency at OU with doing the surgery at the VA. I was his last 'residency' patient. He's now in private practice in Indiana 🙂

Latest posts

Top Bottom