Part III Most American cartridge you killed game with

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is entirely a opinion post. What cartridge have you used on game that just breaths and bleeds America. I am talking about if you were telling somebody about it and the first thought would be "Boy! That's a pure American cartridge". My personal opinion "American" cartridge pick would be the 270 Winchester but I am sure the 30 cals will rule the roost.
30-30 Winchester

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100%. A guy at my old work was almost having a nervous break down cuz he was reading so many contradicting articles on what caliber hunting rifle to get for his first gun. I said dude, a .270 or 30-06 will never fail you . That was a long time ago. He never bought one 🙄🙄🙄

He probably bought a
45-70, .300 savage, 405 Win and a .44-40.

405 Win is an awesome cartridge especially ol Teddy Roosevelt history with it hunting. Now the 44-40 is a winner cause of it being chambered in lever guns and revolvers and carrying just on caliber makes it easy.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He probably bought a

405 Win is an awesome cartridge especially ol Teddy Roosevelt history with it hunting. Now the 44-40 is a winner cause of it being chambered in lever guns and revolvers and carrying just on caliber makes it easy.
I have a 38-40 in lever and revolver.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I know there are a lot of older folks on here. But the new American deer rifle has got to be the 6.5 CM. But I do hunt with a 270 win. 243 or 308 has got to be the real O.G’s.
It always amazes me when I go shopping for ammo. Around 10-20 varieties of 6.5 CM on the shelf and maybe 1-3 in 270 Win.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I know there are a lot of older folks on here. But the new American deer rifle has got to be the 6.5 CM. But I do hunt with a 270 win. 243 or 308 has got to be the real O.G’s.
I knew someone was going to say 6.5x55 wannabe.🤣

I have a serious question about 6.5CM. If it’s such a great caliber, why are 1/2 of the used guns I see for sale on message boards and internet classifieds chambered in it?!? :anyone:

Last edited:

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew someone was going to say 6.5x55 wannabe.🤣

I have a serious question about 6.5CM. If it’s such a great caliber, why are 1/2 of the used guns I see for sale on message boards and internet classifieds chambered in it?!? :anyone:
I would say because they are cheap and bunch on the market. Manufacturers made it popular along with YouTube. That the round was intended for PRS. If we didn’t have the 6.5 we would have a bunch of 30 cal’s doing the same thing on the market. I’m just waiting for the 6arc to do the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom