Part III Most American cartridge you killed game with

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most game - 12 gauge shotgun. For rifle calibers I guess the most American thing I shoot is 30/30.

Some might argue 30/06, but the inspiration for that came from a much more Teutonic source.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I read the OP’s first post, I didn’t think of it like that, but I agree with your Interpretation.

I think the internet and hunting shows have convinced ALOT of people that they “need” certain high power calibers when a good old 30-30, 270 Win, or 30-06 would work just as well and be more practical.

I view 35 Rem as a northeast caliber and 30-30 as a southern caliber, but 270 Win and 30-06 are more universal classics throughout all hunting regions.
I certainly never needed a 300RUM for the kind of hunting I do. I’ve killed more stuff with a 6mm rem and a 25-06. But like a child, I think big things that go really fast are cool. And it was my dads rifle.

The RUM is the only “new” cartridge I have. I think the classics are classics for a reason- they work. I also think a 270win or 280rem is about the perfect Oklahoma rifle.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“It always amazes me when I go shopping for ammo. Around 10-20 varieties of 6.5 CM on the shelf and maybe 1-3 in 270 Win.”
I can’t disagree, but I might argue that the 270 works so well that 1-3 choices would cover about everything you’d want to do 😉
My first centerfire was/still is a Savage 116 in 270 Winchester…..if all went to pot, it would likely be the one pried from my hands in the end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom