Perfect weather this weekend for some casting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been snowed under with the move back to our place in the country. But this weekend I had to myself. So I fired up the melter and cast me some bullets. Man was it relaxing. :thumb:
I have a good sized lean-to on the side of the man cave where I do my dirty deed. Great breeze and the scenery aint bad. I really enjoyed myself.

I cast about 100 240 gr bullets for 444marlin, 250 340gr for the 45-70, around 3-400 130 gr 30 cal for plinking in the 30-30's, a buttload of 158gr swc 357's, and a few others.
I love spring time.

And for anyone who doesn't cast........that's where the real savings are for a reloader. :contract: Do the math.

Next trip out I need to cast some up for the 450 marlin and 500 s7w rifles to eat. They look so sad sitting in the safe. :nolike:

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What kind of melt pot you using old fart? I'm really interested in casting my own bullets. Looking to cast
for sure .38 spec and .357 for revolver. But what about casting for semi-auto pistols? Do they do well in 1911's??
And is there any tricks to pouring you own lead? Any info is much appreciated.

en4cer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been snowed under with the move back to our place in the country. But this weekend I had to myself. So I fired up the melter and cast me some bullets. Man was it relaxing. :thumb:
I have a good sized lean-to on the side of the man cave where I do my dirty deed. Great breeze and the scenery aint bad. I really enjoyed myself.

I cast about 100 240 gr bullets for 444marlin, 250 340gr for the 45-70, around 3-400 130 gr 30 cal for plinking in the 30-30's, a buttload of 158gr swc 357's, and a few others.
I love spring time.

And for anyone who doesn't cast........that's where the real savings are for a reloader. :contract: Do the math.

Next trip out I need to cast some up for the 450 marlin and 500 s7w rifles to eat. They look so sad sitting in the safe. :nolike:

I'm assuming its raining. I've reloaded (old rcbs rockchucker, 1000's of 9 and 223 sold it) but never cast, wasn't ever a need and finally got to the point wasn't a need to reload those calibers. Times they are a changin'. :)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread would be so much better with pictures!!!

Maybe next time, I've posted the whole process before so I didn't worry about it this time.

What kind of melt pot you using old fart? I'm really interested in casting my own bullets. Looking to cast
for sure .38 spec and .357 for revolver. But what about casting for semi-auto pistols? Do they do well in 1911's??
And is there any tricks to pouring you own lead? Any info is much appreciated.

Lee bottom pour.

Yes.

Yes & No.

Yes.

Maybe I should repost somemore info on casting. Let me think about it and maybe soon.

I'm assuming its raining. I've reloaded (old rcbs rockchucker, 1000's of 9 and 223 sold it) but never cast, wasn't ever a need and finally got to the point wasn't a need to reload those calibers. Times they are a changin'. :)

It rain a little off and on. I've cast for so long I didn't notice but history does repeat itself at times and right now is different than 5 years ago.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of guys on here like the castboolits forum, I'm partial to CBA because old Ed Harris post there a lot. Some will remember him from his days on the American Rifleman magazine staff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom