Photo of the new Okla. Handgun License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, but my license expires on 08/15/2017 (5-year license) and it looks nothing like yours. In fact, not knowing what "old style" even looks like, the O.S.B.I. shield in the background on my license looks like a giant eye, or a gaping mouth swallowing both the American Eagle and the Osage shield.

BTW, mine is an "Oklahoma Concealed Weapon License." On the back, it states: "This license must be carried by licensee at all times a concealed weapon is in your possession." So, can I assume that I can carry a long-blade knife/sword, such as a concealed Samurai sword or an Italian/Spanish stiletto, since my license does not state concealed handgun only but concealed weapon?

What do the Oklahoma Statutes have to say regarding concealed weapons? What weapons are permitted to be legally carried and concealed with an Oklahoma "Concealed Weapon License?" What about saps and blackjacks?

I don't know if it matters, but this license is the first/initial license I have ever possessed. Therefore, I am not familiar with the various "styles."

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just curious, that's all.

Likely it's meant to comply with the change in law to allow open carry (beginning November 1st; look up OK SB 1733). If you have a CCL, it also allows you to open carry upon the enactment of the law, if you so desire to. It's just a change in wording on the license. To carry a firearm, concealed or open, you will need to have this license. Until November, it's designed for conceal carry only, as you are not able to yet open carry.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Likely it's meant to comply with the change in law to allow open carry (beginning November 1st; look up OK SB 1733). If you have a CCL, it also allows you to open carry upon the enactment of the law, if you so desire to. It's just a change in wording on the license. To carry a firearm, concealed or open, you will need to have this license. Until November, it's designed for conceal carry only, as you are not able to yet open carry.

So... can we assume that whatever version of license one might have has the same effect? Carry whatever weapon is permitted by Oklahoma law no matter what style/version of license you just happen to be issued?

A previous poster made mention of the fact that our state government might just actually be attempting to be frugal by issuing licenses on whatever stock might just happen to be on hand at the time. This is not a unique phenomena. Working for the U.S.P.S., I have seen envelopes come through the mail from the State Education Secretary Janet Barresi whereby she pasted her return address over her predecessor's, thereby not wasting any pre-printed envelopes.

Now that is being cost-conscience and frugal!

Good for Janet Barresi!

Good for the O.S.B.I., assuming, that is, that they are merely using up New Old Stock license blanks, instead of creating some sort of different classifications making "Handgun Licensees" something different from "Weapon Licensees."

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting, but my license expires on 08/15/2017 (5-year license) and it looks nothing like yours. In fact, not knowing what "old style" even looks like, the O.S.B.I. shield in the background on my license looks like a giant eye, or a gaping mouth swallowing both the American Eagle and the Osage shield.

BTW, mine is an "Oklahoma Concealed Weapon License." On the back, it states: "This license must be carried by licensee at all times a concealed weapon is in your possession." So, can I assume that I can carry a long-blade knife/sword, such as a concealed Samurai sword or an Italian/Spanish stiletto, since my license does not state concealed handgun only but concealed weapon?

What do the Oklahoma Statutes have to say regarding concealed weapons? What weapons are permitted to be legally carried and concealed with an Oklahoma "Concealed Weapon License?" What about saps and blackjacks?

After all, thumping someone on the side of the head with a sap or blackjack, in a defensive situation, can indeed be deadly but I suppose not nearly so potentially deadly as firing a bullet into the head.

I don't know if it matters, but this license is the first/initial license I have ever possessed. Therefore, I am not familiar with the various "styles."

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just curious, that's all.

The only weapons one of these permits allows you to carry are handguns not larger than .45. I am surprised that you just got your license but these questions were not answered in your SDA class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom