Photo of the new Okla. Handgun License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm saying this in response to your supposition that their lack of interest in helping you get a free handbook equated to some sort of OSBI policy decision/lack of support for the law.

How does them not shipping you a new SDA book within a week of the law's passing equal OSBI dragging their feet to get the word out? The word is out. The law is available online. OSBI is not required to publish or provide you with an SDA lawbook.

I guess if you are an instructor and looking for updated course material, that's one thing but even then I don't think it's OSBI's responsibility to provide an instructor's course material gratis.

Last edited:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saying this in response to your supposition that their lack of interest in helping you get a free handbook equated to some sort of OSBI policy decision/lack of support for the law.

How does them not shipping you a new SDA book within a week of the law's passing equal OSBI dragging their feet to get the word out? The word is out. The law is available online. OSBI is not required to publish or provide you with an SDA lawbook.

I guess if you are an instructor and looking for updated course material, that's one thing but even then I don't think it's OSBI's responsibility to provide an instructor's course material gratis.

Geesh, you write like you are clueless sometimes. Why do you think the OSBI / SDA has printed well over 125,000 copies of the SDA booklet and hundreds of instructor packets over the years? Updating them as necessary. It is to help educate the instructors & the public as to the current SDA laws.

So, asking the SDA unit when they think the latest edition of the free handbooks containing the new law will become available and be distributed to the general public is not a unreasonable question. It isn't a national secret.. they already knew at the time when it is going to be distributed. They will be giving them away by the thousands just for the asking when they are available.

The booklets have always been free. People call and ask for copies to be sent to them all the time from here in Oklahoma and from out of state. Some [[[[ADULTS]]]] will prefer to have a hard copy to read when ever and where ever they want too.. and thus will be able to show and discuss passages of the new law with others who might not have access to a computer. And the fact that the woman from the SDA unit said they weren't going to bother putting it out early so as not to confuse the abundant number of clueless people who wouldn't have the brains to know to wait until Nov. 1st to open carry... and a few other things she said during our conversation led me to believe that the OSBI wasn't in a rush to get the new booklets out.... hense the 'Dragging their feet' comment.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Calm down there high speed. Clueless, really?

You should be working for OSBI...with those extrapolation skills. To uncover the motives of OSBI's brass with a single phone call is amazing is all I'm saying.

Did you think for a minute that maybe they wanted to wait for the law to go into effect before they produced any documentation? Putting out an SDA law book that isn't current might be problematic. It actually could cause confusion for the not-so-bright amongst us...just read some of the SDA related threads we have on this forum. Much more likely is that they might not be funded for it yet. Mass printing and distribution is not cheap. They probably have an annual budget for that and can't just snap their fingers for more $$ because a new law was passed.

All kinds of reasons that don't involve some nefarious foot dragging by the brass.

OSBI Brass: "Boy I really hate open carry, I know what I'll do. I won't print a new law book until 1 Nov when the law takes effect! That'll fix 'em real good. Buuuaaahaahaaa".

Latest posts

Top Bottom