Photo of the new Okla. Handgun License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Some of you people need to read your SDA. You carry a freaking gun! Show some responsibility as a gun owner, and represent the rest of us well. Read the law; it's only like 70 pages.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will they send out replacements for those who already have the old style and aren't due to renew anytime soon?
No, you are expexted to carry on your old card untill yours expires, and then you will be issued a new card.

For thoses that asked no you cannot carry any saps, black, bill, metal knuckles, switchblades, Dirk, dagger or offensive weapon other than an approved handgun.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I was talking to a gal at the OSBI. I ask her if they will be sending instructors any new teaching material related to open carry. She said "No". I guess we'll have to watch the news and read the newspaper.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I was talking to a gal at the OSBI. I ask her if they will be sending instructors any new teaching material related to open carry. She said "No". I guess we'll have to watch the news and read the newspaper.

Although there have been several administrative changes to the SDA that will take effect on Nov. 1st, I think there is only 3 new differences between old law & new law that will affect most people on a day-to-day basis in the way they carry.....

1. Not having to cover your weapon.
2. The change from having to immediately notify a officer that your carrying... to first opportunity.
3. When open carrying, your weapon has to be in a belt holster, shoulder holster or scabbard.

The first 2 changes in the law are less restrictive, rather than more restrictive on permit holders.. so the OSBI doesn't figure they require the cost of new materials being sent out to notify everyone. If permit holders kept doing what they are doing now, they would be in compliance with the new law. The belt or shoulder holster should be a 'no brainer' for open carry. Anyone dumb enough to just tuck a weapon into their waist band without a holster needs to get shot with their own gun or else have someone take it away from them.

When I talked with the gal from the SDA unit, she told me they weren't even going to be sending out the new SDA handbooks with the new carry law until Nov. 1st. I was told if I wanted to read it before then, to go to their web site where is was posted. I got the distinct impression that the OSBI's brass wasn't thrilled about open carry and was kind of 'dragging its feet' in getting the word out.

SB1733
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told if I wanted to read it before then, to go to their web site where is was posted. I got the distinct impression that the OSBI's brass wasn't thrilled about open carry and was kind of 'dragging its feet' in getting the word out.

SB1733
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/

They're probably tired of getting a hundred phone calls a day asking the same questions you asked....the info is out there, why slow them down even more by asking questions that don't really require answers?

The law is available online....

BigTulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're probably tired of getting a hundred phone calls a day asking the same questions you asked....the info is out there, why slow them down even more by asking questions that don't really require answers?

Exactly. Even the parts amended are noted by being underlined, or parts omitted are struck-through.

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Printed on the front page of the above link:"Effective November 1, 2012, Self-Defense Act License holders will be legally
allowed to carry their handguns in a concealed or unconcealed manner.
See no mention of anythng about the newhandgun license that is making some folks crazy.:bigeye:

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This was a week or so after the new law was signed... and I wanted to know when I would be able to order a new SDA handbook.. containing the new law. I didn't want to print out 70+ pages on my computer's printer... when I could get a booklet for free. She told me then they would not be releasing the new books until Nov. 1st.. so this was well before they started recieving the 100's of calls a day because of the license delays. Also, the women that answers the phone at the SDA unit... that is their job... answering the phone and giving answers to the public's questions! They don't do the license processing and it doesn't slow the process down any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom