Photography

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sangre De Cristo sunrise, shadows of 14k Kit Carson Mountain on left, Crestone Needle on right. Nikon Coolpix camera
FB_IMG_1463771346776.jpg

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I'd revive this thread since it's on the subject I'd like to explore.

I love photography though I'm just a novice.

I have a few different cameras:

1) Sony RXIV-10 This is my "good" camera, though real photographers migh scoff at it.
2) Panasonic FZ-1000 I like this one, too.
3) Nikon P610 Not a great camera but it's got a REALLY long zoom...pretty much put it away since I got the Sony
4) Nikon D700? Can't remember the model. Takes great pictures but I have limited lenses for it. Haven't used it in ages.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra that has a pretty remarkable camera for a phone. It's really handy for times when I'm not carrying a camera.

Probably my favorite things to photograph are birds, most wildlife and guns. I can't seem to get the hang of scenery composition...just not my thing.

Thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures I've taken over the past few years.

From the top of Mt Scott:
View attachment 269857

Weisenfel's Gulch Rd (Idaho...south of Lewiston, Idaho along the Snake River)View attachment 269866

The Neighborhood Goat (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269871

Great Horned Owl (Lewiston, Idaho)
View attachment 269874

Possum (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269875

Armadillo (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269880

Eagle (Along the Clearwater River near Lewiston, Idaho)
View attachment 269881
great pics! be a good guard goat

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a big square solar filter sheet for pretty cheap (maybe 15 bucks or so). Then I got a BIG set of step up/step down rings and fashioned my own. It was a little awkward to make but it saved a few hundred bucks I'm sure. I have a catadioptric 500mm f/8.0 (some model that goes under a few different brand names) that I use with two 2.0x telephoto converters, so it's a shaky 2000mm even on a tripod (not even to mention the fact that the sun only stays in from for a short time).

The filter makes it possible to compose the shot in both the viewfinder and the live view. And you wouldn't get anywhere close the seeing sunspots even at the fastest shutter speed and smallest aperture plus ND filters. At least I don't remember being able to.

The filter size of the lens is 95mm if I'm remembering correctly, so I cut part of the filter sheet to size and glued it to the 95-105mm step up ring. I remember thinking I could maybe sandwich the filter between two different step up/down rings and not have to use glue, but that fell apart pretty quick.

Here are a few pics taken with the setup.

View attachment 101782

View attachment 101783

I don't have the originals on this computer so I just grabbed these off Facebook, so they're ridiculously compressed. The original RAW files look much better.
very cool

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I'd revive this thread since it's on the subject I'd like to explore.

I love photography though I'm just a novice.

I have a few different cameras:

1) Sony RXIV-10 This is my "good" camera, though real photographers migh scoff at it.
2) Panasonic FZ-1000 I like this one, too.
3) Nikon P610 Not a great camera but it's got a REALLY long zoom...pretty much put it away since I got the Sony
4) Nikon D700? Can't remember the model. Takes great pictures but I have limited lenses for it. Haven't used it in ages.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra that has a pretty remarkable camera for a phone. It's really handy for times when I'm not carrying a camera.

Probably my favorite things to photograph are birds, most wildlife and guns. I can't seem to get the hang of scenery composition...just not my thing.

Thought I'd share some of my favorite pictures I've taken over the past few years.

From the top of Mt Scott:
View attachment 269857

Weisenfel's Gulch Rd (Idaho...south of Lewiston, Idaho along the Snake River)View attachment 269866

The Neighborhood Goat (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269871

Great Horned Owl (Lewiston, Idaho)
View attachment 269874

Possum (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269875

Armadillo (Olustee, OK)
View attachment 269880

Eagle (Along the Clearwater River near Lewiston, Idaho)
View attachment 269881

Not much wrong with the composure of those photos. Now, while they might not "adhere" to some of the rules of photography, Ansel Adams says that there "are no rules."

If that one Nikon is a D700, that is what is called a full-frame camera. If you are using a lens with it that is a full frame lens, the result will be the equivalent of the old 35mm film images.

Latest posts

Top Bottom