Nikon Camera Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The D90 is alright, but the D90 lenses are the proprietary ones, aren't they (only useful for the 50 and a couple others, right?).

G2G, any chance you would want a nice used one? It's hard to beat a D300 or better. You're welcome to play with mine anytime you like. All the pictures I took at the full auto shoot were with it.

Proprietary? First I heard. The 90 has an internal af motor, should be able to take any nikon compatible lens (nikkor tamron etc)

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By proprietary you mean the lenses that use the ASM you would be incorrect. The D90 will use any lens Nikon has ever made.
The D40 takes a proprietary lens that has built-in motors, but those are plentiful any more.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By proprietary you mean the lenses that use the ASM you would be incorrect. The D90 will use any lens Nikon has ever made.
The D40 takes a proprietary lens that has built-in motors, but those are plentiful any more.

This is what I was thinking of. Remembered that somebody had one back in a photochop class I took years ago, but couldn't think of the exact model.

Bellboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a D3100 in December and I am very happy with it. I am also at an entry level, but this camera has been great. I purchased mine from Wal-Mart.com. I got camera, bag, dvd, 18-55mm VR and SP900 flash for a little over $1,000

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a D50 (uses ASM lense) and love it, my MIL and SIL both have D3100 and so far they have not impressed me at all. My D50 takes faster pictures and is alot easier to use. Sure the D3100 has some nice features like B&W photos from the camera and some other features, but not enough to make me get rid of my D50.

Like said, Mega-pixel is a way over sold term, my D50 is a 6MP and can print a picture big enough to cover a door into your house and I have never once printed one that size.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D90 will do B&W on camera.

The D90 also uses any Nikon lens FX and DX built in motor or not. The FX lenses will take pics cropped from what you see in the viewfinder, but it also leaves you with less vignetting because your image is from the center of the lens.

I think it will even use some of the older 35MM SLR lenses. It's been so long since I researched my purchase and I have no interest in that since I didn't already own SLR lenses.

Using an FX lens will also give you more "zoom" out of your teles because of the 1.5 crop factor.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, if one wants to take videos, buy a video camera. If you want to take stills, get a DSLR. Anything otherwise is actually a compromise on one or the other.

I have a D300 and about a year and a half ago, my wife took an interest in finally getting a GOOD camera. When she got to looking at the D90, I started looking at specs. Other than in about 4 features, one of which is the body construction, the D90 is pretty much equal with a D300 for less money. Since I do a bit of knocking around in the woods doing nature and wildlife photography, I elected to go with the D300 because it has a metal body and is water-resistant.

So, like many of the others, I'd say to go a bit more in money if you can and go with the D90.

Latest posts

Top Bottom