Nikon Camera Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've been on the fence about buying a DSLR for several years now, but I'm ready to take the plunge. I've looked at several and decided on getting a Nikon. The question is, which one offers the most bang for the buck?

I've looked at the whole US vs. "gray market" thing and decided I want a US model, so I have no issues with warranty service (see quite a few refurb sales out there). I'm not sure at my entry level that it will matter much whether it has CCD or CMOS? I know I want good lenses that I can use with other Nikon bodies when I'm ready to upgrade and spend more money.

So far I "think" i'm interested in the D3100. I've checked B&H, Abe's, Amazon & ebay and believe it or not, so far Best Buy has them beat. I can get a D3100 with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lenses for $721 out the door. So I ask you camera gurus, is this a good entry level model? Is there anyplace else I should check for a good deal?

This is about the extent of my budget for the body & lenses for now. Eventually I want a decent macro lens as well. I plan on getting the other accessories piece by piece so I can research each one individually (tripod, light box, external flash, filters, bag, etc.)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I've been on the fence about buying a DSLR for several years now, but I'm ready to take the plunge. I've looked at several and decided on getting a Nikon. The question is, which one offers the most bang for the buck?

I've looked at the whole US vs. "gray market" thing and decided I want a US model, so I have no issues with warranty service (see quite a few refurb sales out there). I'm not sure at my entry level that it will matter much whether it has CCD or CMOS? I know I want good lenses that I can use with other Nikon bodies when I'm ready to upgrade and spend more money.

So far I "think" i'm interested in the D3100. I've checked B&H, Abe's, Amazon & ebay and believe it or not, so far Best Buy has them beat. I can get a D3100 with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lenses for $721 out the door. So I ask you camera gurus, is this a good entry level model? Is there anyplace else I should check for a good deal?

This is about the extent of my budget for the body & lenses for now. Eventually I want a decent macro lens as well. I plan on getting the other accessories piece by piece so I can research each one individually (tripod, light box, external flash, filters, bag, etc.)

IMHO,... the D90, although older and less resolution, is a better option than the D3100.

As far as the best bang for your buck,.. D7000 (though the kit version is around $1500, body only $1200).

Now when comparing the D3100 to the D90, I am purely going off of what I am use to in Nikon. The D3100 doesnt have the top display like almost all Nikon DSLRs had, cant utilize all nikon lenses and has a different shape and feel. If you are ok with the feature,... then the D3100 is a competent entry level DSLR. Plus, its really not so expensive that if you decide you want to step up, you will get your butt handed to you in trade in value.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To elaborate on the D3100... No Auto Focus motor in the body so you are limited to AF-S lenses.

@Dustin: Exactly.

Also, the D90 has a litte better monitor on it. Makes it easier to proof on the fly your images when the image is sharper and in greater detail. But again, this is all preference. If you are a shoot a 1000 and then weed through them type of shooter,... might not be a big deal. Nothing wrong with that method either. ;) Or at least I dont think there is.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That out the door price includes sales tax?!?!

I'd skip the 55-200 and go with the 55-300. But thats just me. Both are good lenses!

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
]IMHO,... the D90, although older and less resolution, is a better option than the D3100. [/B]

Camera companies make you think resolution(megapixel) is important. Find me one non professional that has ever printed a photo big enough that they needed a 14 mega pixel camera?

The D90 has MUCH better IQ - and low noise performance is WAY more important than resolution

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the D90. In fact, I'll make you a deal on mine since I want to upgrade anyway. ;-)
The D90 is a great camera, the D3100 always seemed like a stop gap camera to me.

Megapixels do matter. I may never print an image that size but I may crop over half of those pixels away if I'm shooting sports, for example. Then I only have 7MP. If I started with 7 I would be doomed to 3.5, which is not good.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The D90 is alright, but the D90 lenses are the proprietary ones, aren't they (only useful for the 50 and a couple others, right?).

G2G, any chance you would want a nice used one? It's hard to beat a D300 or better. You're welcome to play with mine anytime you like. All the pictures I took at the full auto shoot were with it.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The D90 is alright, but the D90 lenses are the proprietary ones, aren't they (only useful for the 50 and a couple others, right?).

G2G, any chance you would want a nice used one? It's hard to beat a D300 or better. You're welcome to play with mine anytime you like. All the pictures I took at the full auto shoot were with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom