Physician opposition to SQ 788 speaks volumes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You wouldn’t but somewhere there’s an attorney that would. And if it ever happens I hope they’re a good one.
Oh, I didn't say I wouldn't do it, just that I wouldn't want to. I think it'd be a tough sell...but I'd certainly make the pitch.

Actually, that's not quite right--I'd demand that the prosecutor prove actual use of marijuana. Keep the burden of proof where it belongs. I'm just sayin.'

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have an answer. As far as SDA (or equivalent), I'd have to research each state's SDA law. Oklahoma's actually doesn't have anything about a user of drugs, just someone who has required inpatient treatment for substance abuse. I do know that Hawai'i has been comparing it's MJ rolls to its firearm owner rolls (see why registration is bad, kids?), and paying those firearms owners a visit to collect their guns. My understanding is that they're doing it based on the federal marijuana prohibition making those people prohibited persons, though I don't know if the "prohibited" persons is based in a state-law or federal-law level definition of "prohibited person" (i.e. they're users of illegal drugs because it's illegal at the federal level, but I don't know if HI has a state-level law against users of illegal drugs possessing firearms, or if HI is relying on the federal law prohibiting illegal drug users from possessing firearms). If that sounds convoluted as all hell, well, that's because it is.

As to other states, I really have no idea; Hawai'i is the only one that has really made the news, and I think that's because they were actually going out and confiscating. Going looking at all of the other states would be an exhaustively time-consuming endeavour.

The only reasons HI is a state, are cane sugar and military bases. Not much else "American" about it. :(

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you actually read the 788 proposed law, you will find the following:

SECTION 6. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 425 of Title 63, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

E. No person holding a medical marijuana license may unduly be withheld from holding a state issued license by virtue of their being a medical marijuana license holder. This would include such things as a concealed carry permit.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SECTION 6. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 425 of Title 63, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

E. No person holding a medical marijuana license may unduly be withheld from holding a state issued license by virtue of their being a medical marijuana license holder. This would include such things as a concealed carry permit.
Excellent! Good find!

Still doesn't protect against federal harassment, but good to know the state has to behave itself.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ding, ding ding! We have a winner!

I read this the other night on the OK Secretary of State website. That's where the actual law that we voted on today is and it's funny, you never see a link posted in any of those adds where they lie and claim it's really for recreational use. It's downright shameful how the opposition spun this bill. But what's new? Poorly written? It's the Oklahoma way!

Here's the link to the actual law:
https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/788.pdf

One thing to keep in mind if this passes. If you do have MJ in your system and have to use your gun in self defense, and if the feds somehow get involved you still have a problem. It stays in your system for something like 26 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom