Tesla killer? Toyota's EV (purportedly) travels 745 miles on a single 10 min charge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you imagine the current one of those pull? They might need their own 100 amp circuit.

Until they redesign the grid a solution of using electric to power the world is a pipe dream IMO.
100 amp circuit? Ten minutes? No. Nothing short of a bolt of lightning would charge a battery capable of driving a 2 ton vehicle 745 miles that quickly! :laugh6:

(Your electrode foo might differ.)

Woody

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100 amp circuit? Ten minutes? No. Nothing short of a bolt of lightning would charge a battery capable of driving a 2 ton vehicle 745 miles that quickly! :laugh6:

(Your electrode foo might differ.)

Woody
That’s exactly what I was thinking. One of you propeller-heads needs to crunch the numbers. My house has a 200A service which is 48KW@240V yes? Got the following info on Tesla’s motors off the internet and “they” say the motors draw 225KW-450KW. No way in H E double Hockey Sticks you’re going to stuff that much energy in a battery in 10 minutes from my home’s electrical service. That is unless you’re using those magic electrons and filling the batteries with that extra special smoke.

“””So it looks like Tesla uses 375v traction motors (AC induction, 3 phase I beleive) and I've read that they can draw 600-1200A which is 225 - 450Kw or about 302 - 604 HP. I've seen the size of these motors and I can't see how they are 300-600HP motors considering I'be seen motors that put out that much and they can weigh 1-3 the weight of the entire car S-type of almost 5000lbs (for the 600HP motor). I did find one motor that was ~2800lbs but it was a very specialized motor for oil/gas industry (and that was starting weight, some were MUCH more).”””

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1708457853208.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I still made the one way 18 mile commute to the power plant I retired from, I’d probably get an EV.
Pull it into the RV park area we had for visiting workers and top off the charge for free once every week or two.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that Toyota was close to having a hydrogen fuel cell car ready to mass produce.
They have and they are popular in OZ. Somebody else makes one too and I hear they are both selling well. Nice thing is, they clean the air some as they are driven.

Personally if I were dictator in chief, I would let people buy what they want but I would recommend EVs for the woke crowd in large cities, hydrogen cars for the subs, gas / diesel for long haul and country use. Also new nuke plants for electric.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of you skeptics must have missed the details on the ten minute charge. It’s not a big deal as it can be done anywhere and the grid will not suffer. There’s an App on the car’s computer to download the power anywhere from the cloud. Shesh folks. Catch up!
From the Cloud. Yup. Lightning.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom