Tesla killer? Toyota's EV (purportedly) travels 745 miles on a single 10 min charge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyota has said it is close to being able to mass manufacture potentially revolutionary solid-state batteries that could offer double the range of existing electric cars.

According to Toyota, cars powered by solid-state batteries could have a range of 745 miles, a charging time of 10 minutes and hit the market in 2027 or 2028.

They have been presented by experts as a revolutionary technology that could bring EVs into the mainstream.

Switching to an electric vehicle is out of reach for many Americans, experts have warned, as a lack of access to charging ports mean they fear being left stranded in shorter-range vehicles.

The driving range of electric cars varies between models, but is typically around 300 miles.

While solid-state batteries could be revolutionary, they also present challenges for manufacturers. According to Toyota, one of the most significant hurdles is the assembly process, in which layers of cathode and anode cells need to be stacked quickly and precisely.

Claims that Toyota is on the brink of being of being able to mass manufacture solid-state batteries were first published in the Financial Times on Monday.

'In terms of the stacking speed, we are almost there. We are going to roll out bigger volumes and check the quality,' an engineer for the company told the outlet.

Earlier this month, Toyota CEO Koji Sato announced that the firm would partner with major Japanese oil refiner Idemitsu Kosan on the project to manufacture the batteries.

'With repeated efforts involving trial and error, we have succeeded in developing a material that is more stable and less prone to crack,' Sato told reporters in Tokyo during an announcement with Idemitsu.

'The future of mobility lies in the tie-up between the auto and energy sectors, including this innovation hailing from Japan,' he said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmon...?ico=most_shared_articles_mol.web.mobile_news

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they develop the technology to have an EV with a solar panel on the grill, the size of a cell phone, that will perpetually power the vehicle, and can propel a fully equipped Humvee, gimme a call. Till then, I'll stick with my F150.
I'm saving up my pocket change for the flux capacitor!

I think they will have cheap retrofit kits once they hit the market!

😁

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you imagine the current one of those pull? They might need their own 100 amp circuit.

Until they redesign the grid a solution of using electric to power the world is a pipe dream IMO.
Exactly! We don’t have enough grid for standard charging as it is, much less the high demand to charge a 10kw or larger battery in 10 minutes!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom