picked up my ccp and was harassed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pubin

New to the site!
Reaction score
I went yesterday to the sherrifs office to get my concealed carry permit. I had never been there before and as I was entering a group of people were exiting so I just went through the door they came out of. Apparently there were sings on the door saying no cell phones and it was the exit door. As I waited at the counter for someone to help me it took about a full minute before the two cops at the entrance to say something about me needing to come back through the right entrance w/ the metal detector. So I put my cell phone in my car and came back through. When I was helped by the lady at the counter I told her what I needed and could hear the cops by the door murmering things like "what did he say he wanted?!" etc etc suprised that I wanted my permit cause I am 25 I guess? Anyways so I get it, come back up and am leaving and one of the cops stops me. Proceeds to ***** me out for entering the wrong door then harasses me about how my permit is a privledge. These are the topics he harassed me over and I felt very offeneded by alot of them

-he claimed your likely to get shot by a cop carrying a gun and 'alot of undercover cops get shot too for this'

-he flat out lied saying i cannot carry to a resteraunt, mall or fair grounds when it specifically states otherwise in the law book. because in his words you are not allowed to 'carry in a crowd'.

-he asked me if i did drugs or drank

-he asked where i worked and when i told him i was unemployed due to medical issues (carpal tunnel or somethin related its not quite sure what is causing it) he looked at me like i was some sort of freak and i told him i was going back to school to switch careers because of this and he just said in horror 'your going to carry a gun with carpal tunnel!?!"

I tried to be as nice as possible since I am going to law school and I am not fully certain of my rights and I did not want to be detained over something stupid. These are the main points that really offended me but he harassed me for a good 5 minutes. I was just wondering first off if and where I can file a complaint against him. And second if there is any further action to be taken. Probably the most rediculous part of the whole thing is he telling me it was a privledge to have it. The 2nd ammendmant is a right not a privledge. I fully complied with all the requirements set forth by the laws to carry a gun and i received it and the fact this cop detested the idea of some one as young as me? i suppose? Is going to be carrying a gun is rediculous. What if I was ex military. Wouldnt that make me not only more qualified to carry a gun them most citizens and wouldnt the Age group of 25-30 be probably the most competent in general to carry guns? Anyways if anyone could offer any ideas or suggestions how to proceed I would greatly apprciate it. Thanks

-Michael

-

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nail his ass to the wall. Go up there and talk to his superiors and let them know that this man was an insulting piece of **** and make sure he knows that you are going public with it. This will put him in a position of having to take this serious, lest the local press be led to believe that he supports and encourages this sort of behavior. As far as your rights go, you could have just walked on past and never even acknowledged him. They hold no power over you other than what we have granted them. Anything past that is an illusion on our part or theirs.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
superA, handling the situation the way you describe sounds good. It may even be by the book legal, but just go ahead with that and let me know what happens.

superA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
superA, handling the situation the way you describe sounds good. It may even be by the book legal, but just go ahead with that and let me know what happens.

I don't really think what the officer did was illegal, just out of line and insulting. I think it shows a character flaw in him of being an out of control bully and someone who is looking to perhaps uphold what he feels should be the law as opposed to what the law actually is. In my opinion this personality trait and holding a badge or position of "authority" is a powder keg.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have asked for badge numbers, taken down the info and the complained to CSO and my local politicians.

When you say 2 cops, were they OKCPD or OCSD?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe his point, although not well made was, if you are going to carry a gun, perhaps you should be more attentive.....

In through the out door, ignoring specific posted instructions, you didn't start this on the right foot.

As always there are two sides to every story as well, would be interesting to hear the Cops side and perspective on how you reacted. It's pretty unusual to get bitched out over nothing, not saying it doesn't happen, but it is the exception and not the rule.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went yesterday to the sherrifs office to get my concealed carry permit. I had never been there before and as I was entering a group of people were exiting so I just went through the door they came out of. Apparently there were sings on the door saying no cell phones and it was the exit door. As I waited at the counter for someone to help me it took about a full minute before the two cops at the entrance to say something about me needing to come back through the right entrance w/ the metal detector. So I put my cell phone in my car and came back through. When I was helped by the lady at the counter I told her what I needed and could hear the cops by the door murmering things like "what did he say he wanted?!" etc etc suprised that I wanted my permit cause I am 25 I guess? Anyways so I get it, come back up and am leaving and one of the cops stops me. Proceeds to ***** me out for entering the wrong door then harasses me about how my permit is a privledge. These are the topics he harassed me over and I felt very offeneded by alot of them

-he claimed your likely to get shot by a cop carrying a gun and 'alot of undercover cops get shot too for this'

-he flat out lied saying i cannot carry to a resteraunt, mall or fair grounds when it specifically states otherwise in the law book. because in his words you are not allowed to 'carry in a crowd'.

-he asked me if i did drugs or drank

-he asked where i worked and when i told him i was unemployed due to medical issues (carpal tunnel or somethin related its not quite sure what is causing it) he looked at me like i was some sort of freak and i told him i was going back to school to switch careers because of this and he just said in horror 'your going to carry a gun with carpal tunnel!?!"

I tried to be as nice as possible since I am going to law school and I am not fully certain of my rights and I did not want to be detained over something stupid. These are the main points that really offended me but he harassed me for a good 5 minutes. I was just wondering first off if and where I can file a complaint against him. And second if there is any further action to be taken. Probably the most rediculous part of the whole thing is he telling me it was a privledge to have it. The 2nd ammendmant is a right not a privledge. I fully complied with all the requirements set forth by the laws to carry a gun and i received it and the fact this cop detested the idea of some one as young as me? i suppose? Is going to be carrying a gun is rediculous. What if I was ex military. Wouldnt that make me not only more qualified to carry a gun them most citizens and wouldnt the Age group of 25-30 be probably the most competent in general to carry guns? Anyways if anyone could offer any ideas or suggestions how to proceed I would greatly apprciate it. Thanks

-Michael

-

21 here and 70 somethin days into my wait. I doubt age was an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom