Polygraph tests?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am looking at a state agency job that I would like to apply for, and it states that I need to go through background, drug, and polygraph screening. Its a relatively entry level job. In the listing it states: "Certain events automatically disqualify an applicant, such as, felony conviction; admission of an undetected crime that, if known, would have been a felony charge; failure to pay federal or state income tax; positive confirmed drug urine test; illegal use of a controlled substance within certain time frames."

Am I going to get disqualified for admitting to smoking some pot a while back? (while currently being clean and passing the employment drug test) or misappropriating a box of eyeglass wipes from an employer 7 years ago? What if I admit to having a few beers and then driving at some point in my life? Or that time I took a pen from my employer? I have a clean record. A few speeding tickets, newest one is 5 years old or so. I've held a security clearance in the past. I am no saint, I don't think anyone is, but its not like I've gone out and committed murder without getting caught or robbed any banks. I guess I am trying to determine what to expect in the process. Am I really going to get polygraphed for a basic entry level job with a state agency? What can I expect in that process? I already deal with anxiety and stuff, is that going to complicate the polygraph test process?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just stay calm, keep your breaths normal, don’t fidget, don’t move your hands. They will ask covering questions, as in “ Do you smoke Marijane? Do you use illegal drugs” You don’t, say no.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Common for someone with anxiety, guilty conscience, etc to fail because the same things happen to your body biologically when you are scared of being accused when innocent as they do when you are scared of being caught lying. May as well be a Ouija board. I had a buddy who failed when he applied to be a cop and he failed on a question I know for a fact he was telling the truth. It was very stressful for him, but he I guess convinced them that he was just nervous.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken a dozen of them. Just tell the truth. All your questions will be yes or no questions and you'll go over your answers before you even get hooked up. Try to relax and tell the truth.
When I took Principles of Criminal Investigation at OU back in the dark ages, one of the speakers the professor brought in was the head of the licensing board for polygraphers. That matches what he said you should experience in a well-executed polygraphy session.

He also said to tell your polygrapher if you’re feeling off so they can take that into account. Towards that end, he related the story of a session he conducted where he was getting odd readings from the subject, so he asked the guy about it. Turned out that the dude had been having a bout with the squirts, and the odd spikes he saw in the recording was him trying to not poop his pants during the interview...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken a dozen of them. Just tell the truth. All your questions will be yes or no questions and you'll go over your answers before you even get hooked up. Try to relax and tell the truth.

Not quite a dozen -- maybe 9 ... Or 10 ... I forget. Don't sweat it. The most ridiculous things will pop into your head -- like the towel I borrowed from the hotel I worked at one night and never returned (a guy threw his girly drink at me and I grabbed a towel to dry my face and hair). You will be fine. They are just using a polygraph to scare off all the riff-raff. (Doesn't work but whatever ... The people who use those things are a little off ...)

Latest posts

Top Bottom