Portable generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Generac portable that's rated for 8.5k continuous and 10k startup (I think...maybe only 9.5k). I'm just about ready to add a manual transfer switch/lockout on my panel. All I need to do is install the outlet on the outside wall and run about 8' of wire to it. Connect it to the panel and I'll be ready to go if needed.

It's gas only. I wanted one that would run on propane and gas but the only one I could find, a Westinghouse, didn't have really good reviews...mostly related to poor customer service. The big hang up was finding a portable that has low distortion so it would be safe for all the electronics in the house. An inverter generator would do, but the models I could afford were only in the 3.5K range or less and were very expensive.

I found the Generac portable at Costco for a very reasonable price and delivery was free.

generac.jpg

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trying to get some info on a backup generator. I would like a dependable one but not break the bank. Thinking about 9000 to 11000 watt. I don't know if duel or try fuel would be best. Any input would be helpful
No matter which generator you get, you have to maintain it, run it on a regular schedule, service it, etc. or pay someone else to do this, or it will be worthless! I have thought about doing the same, but I'm not sure it would actually be worth the money, and effort? We have lived here 44 years, and havn't been without poweer over three or four times, and they were only for a few hours! Even the big ice storm, all our relieves were without power for a week or more, but we are on Indian Electric Goop, out of Cleveland, and they seem to do a great job maintaining equipment, and trimming trees, have less outages!

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want 10KW by your post but if you are running on backup are there some things you can do without to require a smaller generator to get by? If you stagger your loads startup sequence you might be surprized how much stuff you can actually use simultaneously. I have a Predator 3500 portable that I can run the deep freeze, fridge, and AC unit (heat pump) ONLY IF I start each one about 30 seconds apart. The startup on compressor type equipment is what draws the most power. Also, if your home is well insulated you can run the AC to cool it down, turn it off and then run the other items. Running a genny on gasoline is expensive too. I can get about 7 to 9 hours run time on 3 gallons in my Predator, not bad but after about 3 days of constant use it starts to add up. ONG if available would certainly be much cheaper and cleaner burning if you had that availble. 10KW??? Well, if you want to but you may not need that much power.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want 10KW by your post but if you are running on backup are there some things you can do without to require a smaller generator to get by? If you stagger your loads startup sequence you might be surprized how much stuff you can actually use simultaneously. I have a Predator 3500 portable that I can run the deep freeze, fridge, and AC unit (heat pump) ONLY IF I start each one about 30 seconds apart. The startup on compressor type equipment is what draws the most power. Also, if your home is well insulated you can run the AC to cool it down, turn it off and then run the other items. Running a genny on gasoline is expensive too. I can get about 7 to 9 hours run time on 3 gallons in my Predator, not bad but after about 3 days of constant use it starts to add up. ONG if available would certainly be much cheaper and cleaner burning if you had that availble. 10KW??? Well, if you want to but you may not need that much power.
i run the whole farm on a 5500 watt onan DJC diesel genset. i admit that i structured my load to require less electricity but the fact that the load is intermittent and cycles and also the fact that the old onan can start a high horsepower load without tripping out allows this to work well. but it isn't as portable.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Harbor Freight 8500 is portable and good machine.

Get the extended, no questions warranty.

Son has had 3. If they quit, take it back and get a new one. Use for work and on farm. Been very happy with them.
Had to use warranty once, no problems.

When we have lost power, I plug RV and appliances in. Keep freezers and fridge going, TV and A/C in RV.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too have a Harbor Freight portable, mine is 4000/4500 and while I haven’t used it much it always works. I start it twice a year, once before the cold really hits and then I run it dry in Spring. It’s never taken more than two tugs on the string to get it running. It’s nice knowing I have a backup to the 22KW should something bad happen.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here I have a Coleman now it works sometimes., but it is not worth the money to fix it. Trying to up the watts, I have a 5500 now. Thanks for the input.
Mine was not fixable. Took it to a dealer for repair and they said there was nothing they could do. I confirmed that via internet searches. I ended up selling the perfectly good koler engine in a garage sale.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with a Westinghouse dual fuel with 9500 continuous watts available. It will run my whole house through the transfer switch I had installed and has battery start. The battery is easy to keep charged, it comes with a smart charger that I hook up every three months or so to top it off. I agree that it's much easier to keep propane than gas and it's much better to own your own tanks and take them to get filled than do the exchange thing. Lots cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1DLKBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Generac portable that's rated for 8.5k continuous and 10k startup (I think...maybe only 9.5k). I'm just about ready to add a manual transfer switch/lockout on my panel. All I need to do is install the outlet on the outside wall and run about 8' of wire to it. Connect it to the panel and I'll be ready to go if needed.

It's gas only. I wanted one that would run on propane and gas but the only one I could find, a Westinghouse, didn't have really good reviews...mostly related to poor customer service. The big hang up was finding a portable that has low distortion so it would be safe for all the electronics in the house. An inverter generator would do, but the models I could afford were only in the 3.5K range or less and were very expensive.

I found the Generac portable at Costco for a very reasonable price and delivery was free.

View attachment 304988
Not bad for tri-fuel and fuel injection. 8500 is about the right size. Thanks for the info.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with a Westinghouse dual fuel with 9500 continuous watts available. It will run my whole house through the transfer switch I had installed and has battery start. The battery is easy to keep charged, it comes with a smart charger that I hook up every three months or so to top it off. I agree that it's much easier to keep propane than gas and it's much better to own your own tanks and take them to get filled than do the exchange thing. Lots cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1DLKBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Have you had any problem with the fuel sys?

Latest posts

Top Bottom