Powder Charges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a basic Hornady Powder Measure and a Hornady Electronic Scale. When adding the charge do you all weigh every single charge on the scale before you put it in the case or do you just get the powder measure dialed in and then throw it directly into the case?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get it dialed in, lock the setting and go.. Do recheck periodically just to be sure you did it right the first time. I also ALWAYS test fire a round before loading large quantities. Keeps me sane and safe.. Blitzfike

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
What Alan and Blitz said. I'll set it, check the first 3-5 rounds through it, then check periodically, or if I have to do anything with the press, or leave it. Refill primers, phone call, etc, I'll check the first one charged when I start back up.

***caveat: large rifle / precision rounds, or when working up loads, I'll weigh each charge individually.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to throw some confusion into the mix, I've noticed some powders don't always meter as well as others. So, definitely check the weight of your powder charges until you are reasonably certain that your powder measure is throwing a consistent charge weight.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if your trying to put all rounds thru a single hole at 200 yards measure every one.
if your popping steel plates or tin cans, measure about every hundredth round.
if your measure doesn't have one of those angled diverter plates in it to keep constant pressure, then throw several loads back in the can after refilling. to relieve any packing pressure from the refill.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old powder measure was extreamly fickle especially with stick powder, so I had to weight each charge then scoop out excess or trickle more in. Very tedious somewhat nerve wracking job, on loading large quantities. So I saved and bought a Lyman 1200 dps, and it's accurate once set to within a couple tenths of a grain even with rl-22 and imr 4350 and unless at upper max load has had no effect on pressure or accuracy that I've noticed. Saw the other day that Natchez supply had the rcbs charge master on sale for around 250. Don't know how I loaded so many rounds without it now.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to throw some confusion into the mix, I've noticed some powders don't always meter as well as others. So, definitely check the weight of your powder charges until you are reasonably certain that your powder measure is throwing a consistent charge weight.

Yeah, some powders are Unique. :D

If you're loading on a progressive, try to pick a ball powder. I bought an RCBS Chargemaster and it rules for my rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom