powder measure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just researching parts to buy as I'm getting into reloading as soon as I recover from Christmas. I know this is a good place to learn.
Looking into getting good quality componets, and going to be reloading .308, 6.5 x 55, 30-30 and maybe 22-250 (I want one) for rifle and .45, .380, and 9 for pistol. Probable begin with just .308 and 30-30.
I have been looking into different powder measures and wondering about the mechanical powder measures, which brands, or the electronic ones. I probably won't be loading high quanity, more interested in accuracy.
I was wondering what to go after and what to avoid.
Thanks

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Lyman DPS3 electronic dispenser and scale and I have a Redding 3BR mechanical thrower. The Redding is the best mechanical you'll find. I have the rifle chamber and the pistol chamber. I use the Lyman for my rifles, but the Redding with the pistol chamber for the pistols. I set it up and weigh about every 10th charge. Most of the time I can throw 10 identical charges in a row according to the Lyman scale on the DPS. The Redding is the only way to fly for the money on a manual dispenser.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All powder measures, other than the electronic dispensers, work on the principle of the powder filling a cavity. Some work a bit smoother than others and that helps one to develope a repeatable throwing pattern. None are actually more accurate than any other. But the smooth operating measures allow better accuracy. Harralls make some of the best measures. The Culver type measures are nice because they have repeatable click settings. The Harrell measure uses the Culver system as do the RFD measure. Check out Sinclairs or Bruno Shooter supply or the Harrell's site for info and prices.
Donald

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are just getting started... one of the best, if not the best way to go ... RCBS® Rock Chucker™ Supreme Master Reloading Kit

it contains everything you need to get started.... from scales, to press, to reference books, primer tray, etc, etc,

no junk here... all top quality pieces at a good savings over buying separately. $279 at basspro. used to find kit for $250, if you dug a bit.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...-E881-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA

aimage.basspro.com_images_images2_14500_14513.jpg

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It looks like there is a Redding 3BR and one called a Match. Is there much difference in the two?
The ad says the match is for 10 to 30 grains for match rifle.The 3BR has a larger chamber for 5 to 100 grains of powder and another cylinder available for pistol charges up to 10 grains. I have the 3BR and both cylinders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom