Practice off hand shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine made me start thinking about this, Actually it was his wife who told me the story, They live near Haskell on a ranch and as they were moving some cattle to a pasture a Jackass that belongs to a neighbor (and who lets said jackass run free) ran up to some of their cows and started biting them and picked up a calf by the back of the neck and started shaking the living daylights out of it, So his wife got into the pick up and drove into the jackass to knock the calf loose and it then ran down into the pasture. My buddy Micheal T. who has his right arm in a sling (he is right handed) from shoulder surgery took his .45 auto and went after the jackass (in shorts and sandals) thru a hay pasture and when he got as close as he could to the jackass he shot it left handed but didn't hit a vital, It took him 9 shots to take it down. I was laughing so hard I almost passed out but later got to thinking what if the jack turned on him? Also don't go after a crazed jackass in shorts and sandals thru a hay pasture. LOL !!!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmm I remember a thread awhile back about a self defense class instructor who had his students take a couple shots with their off hand and a guy ended up shooting himself some way or other. The board crucified the instructor and the dolt who shot himself got all the sympathy.

If its for self defense it never hurts to be mildly proficient with the other hand or at least not have the gun feel like an alien object at the least, imo of course.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody who can't shoot one handed needs to go straight to the range and learn.
Think about it. Holding baby while retreating, Opening/closing door, Hand shot or broken,
flashlight in other hand etc.etc.
Theres a hundred reasons in a self defense scenario for one handed shooting.
Especially weak hand shooting.
Practice, practice, practice.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A good friend of mine made me start thinking about this, Actually it was his wife who told me the story, They live near Haskell on a ranch and as they were moving some cattle to a pasture a Jackass that belongs to a neighbor (and who lets said jackass run free) ran up to some of their cows and started biting them and picked up a calf by the back of the neck and started shaking the living daylights out of it, So his wife got into the pick up and drove into the jackass to knock the calf loose and it then ran down into the pasture. My buddy Micheal T. who has his right arm in a sling (he is right handed) from shoulder surgery took his .45 auto and went after the jackass (in shorts and sandals) thru a hay pasture and when he got as close as he could to the jackass he shot it left handed but didn't hit a vital, It took him 9 shots to take it down. I was laughing so hard I almost passed out but later got to thinking what if the jack turned on him? Also don't go after a crazed jackass in shorts and sandals thru a hay pasture. LOL !!!

Why again was it necessary for your friend to chase this defensless animal and shoot it 9 times and hopefully did eventually kill it? Don't get me wrong, I don't find anything wrong with killing animals, but one should have a good reason to kill the animal, and if one should need to kill the animal they should do it right, and I especially don't think the killing of any animal like this would be a legitimate excuse from almost passing out from laughter.

And if your really curious about learning to shoot left handed, maybe you should visit the Firearm Training section.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should definitely be a goal for all gun owners that are serious about using them for defensive purposes to be more than mildly proficient with one handed on their strong and off hand shooting. I try to do this everytime I go to the range, and have a long way to go. I also do more dry fire with my off hand at home trying to strengthen the muscle groups in that hand.

If you have ever been in a fight, your normal reaction is to use your strong hand to defend yourself, which means sometimes all you will have available is your off hand. I have found that I am a little different, now that I have had shoulder surgery on my strong hand. If I am grappling, I tend to use my off hand to fight or protect with, because my strong hand shoulder is weaker than my other shoulder. I am more accurate with my strong hand, but do not have the shoulder that can stabilize a threat as well as my off hand.

I like to practice standing, prone, kneeling, on my back, on my side, if I can think of it, I try to shoot from it. I doubt I will ever have a situation where the bad guy will pose and stand still while I get in a proper stance so I can kill him. The challenge for most of us is finding a place that we can practice this way. For safety reasons, ranges will not allow it, and I don't blame them, but think we need to find some place to practice, practice, practice!!

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im guessing he shot it for the same reasons you would shoot an anoying nusance of a fox or coyote. That and if they werent around it may have killed the calf. Reason enough. The part of a one armed, pi$$ed of rancher, in shorts and sandles running after a nusance taking 9 shots to do what should have been done with one is an amusing picture indeed.

Zack.S

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched an episode on topshot where that was one of their challenges
To shoot with their off hand and since then practiced with it now and then.
[Broken External Image]
The pride of field artillery SFC Big Deuce
For anyone here who has had to clean up after him Couldn't help to hope that this donkey wasnt Our good ol friend big deuce

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom