Practice off hand shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you are sayin' that we should consider becoming adequately proficient weakhand shooters so that upon encountering a self defense situation where our stronghand is disabled we will still have a fighting chance?

Hmmm.....
Well, I suppose while we are on the subject we should also consider training to overcome other obstacles which are very common in those situations.
You know:
weapon acquisition/retention against a live resisting adversary...stuff like that.
The most important word in gunfight is "fight"

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a seminar earlier this year and the instructor made us shoot weak and strong an equal amount and he stressed on working on both til there was little to no difference. This was with rifle and pistol. They were short distances with rifle since it was a CQB class. We did a lot of things Gillman does and even did live fire all the way on to your back and back up. A lot of people view things like this as parlor tricks but you never know the context of the what the real world will bring.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im good with my dominant but I don't know that I have even tried with my left,I think that may happen tomorrow afternoon,well maybe closer to dusk.
Most def. on my list of new habits.

While you're at it, you outta' practice reloading single handed as well...

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why again was it necessary for your friend to chase this defensless animal and shoot it 9 times and hopefully did eventually kill it? Don't get me wrong, I don't find anything wrong with killing animals, but one should have a good reason to kill the animal, and if one should need to kill the animal they should do it right, and I especially don't think the killing of any animal like this would be a legitimate excuse from almost passing out from laughter.

And if your really curious about learning to shoot left handed, maybe you should visit the Firearm Training section.

I was laughing at him taking 9 shots when he could have done it with one shot with his right hand, The reason he killed the damn thing is because it attacked his cows, I guess you don't know how much a cow is worth, he had every right to kill it, what if it got ahold of his grandkids or something? It was a dangerous animal that wasn't kept in a fence where it belonged.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kind of wonder what else you laugh at. why is killing a mule funny?
Knowing he could have done it with one shot right handed and the fact that he was in shorts and sandals was just funny to me!! I don't kill for the fun of it but if I were about to lose a calf or cow I would shoot it too!!

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a seminar earlier this year and the instructor made us shoot weak and strong an equal amount and he stressed on working on both til there was little to no difference. This was with rifle and pistol. They were short distances with rifle since it was a CQB class. We did a lot of things Gillman does and even did live fire all the way on to your back and back up. A lot of people view things like this as parlor tricks but you never know the context of the what the real world will bring.

^+1000 on this! Shooting with your offhand well is definitely a skill everyone interested in self defense should work on and become proficient at.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Defensive pistol practice with the off hand should comprise at least 5% of all your practice, if not more. After doing a lot of it, I find that I actually get better hits off hand than I do strong hand only.

Latest posts

Top Bottom