Proposed Rule Change Comment Period Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I can tell, this will affect importation of deer and deer parts from Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, New Mexico, Texas and many other states.

Proposed rule change regarding CWD:

SUBCHAPTER 24. IMPORT OF CERVIDS

800:25-24-1. Purpose

The purpose of this Subchapter is to establish requirements for the importation of live animals or specific carcass parts from in the family Cervidae that will help protect Oklahoma’s native deer and elk population from the threat of chronic wasting disease (CWD).

800:25-24-3. Requirements

The following restrictions apply to the importation of animals in the family Cervidae.
(1) Import authorization is suspended for animals in the family Cervidae which originate from any state or Canadian province where chronic wasting disease has been identified in free-ranging native cervids.
(2) In cases where the source herd originates from a state or Canadian province where CWD has not been identified, import will be granted only if the source herd is a participant in a CWD surveillance and certification program which conforms to standards described in Subchapters 11 and 47 of Title 35 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code.
(3) No person shall import, transport, or possess any cervid carcass or part of a cervid carcass from outside the boundaries of Oklahoma. The following items are the only exceptions: 1) Antlers and or antlers attached to clean skull plate or cleaned skulls (all tissue removed); 2) Animals quarters containing no spinal materials or meat with all parts of the spinal column removed; 3) Cleaned teeth; 4) Finished taxidermy products; 5) Hides or tanned products.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It appears what that is saying is that if you kill an elk where CWD is identified, you have to remove the backbone before returning to Ok If I read it right.
Chronic wasting disease has been broken down into counties within states. Here is an example:

cwd-map.jpg

I know this is a long shot, but if my elk tag comes from a county/ranch which it does, (I have to hunt a specific ranch) that is not in the CWD designated counties, would I be good to bring back the entire carcass which we have done in the past?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better read it again!

Doesn't say area, it says state.....if there is CWD in any part of the state, anything from that state is restricted.....and it involves more than the spine. If these proposed rules pass, you will no longer be allowed to import the head, skull or skull plate unless it has been cleaned of all, tissue.....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Better read it again!

Doesn't say area, it says state.....if there is CWD in any part of the state, anything from that state is restricted.....and it involves more than the spine. If these proposed rules pass, you will no longer be allowed to import the head, skull or skull plate unless it has been cleaned of all, tissue.....
I know it says state, but I was trying to nitpick which is why I broke it down to actual counties.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"if my elk tag comes from a county/ranch which it does, (I have to hunt a specific ranch) that is not in the CWD designated counties, would I be good to bring back the entire carcass which we have done in the past"

Clearly the answer is NO!! What county/ranch the animal comes from is irrelevant if it comes from a CWD state.

This takes things even further:

"(2) In cases where the source herd originates from a state or Canadian province where CWD has not been identified, import will be granted only if the source herd is a participant in a CWD surveillance and certification program which conforms to standards described in Subchapters 11 and 47 of Title 35 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code."

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like
"if my elk tag comes from a county/ranch which it does, (I have to hunt a specific ranch) that is not in the CWD designated counties, would I be good to bring back the entire carcass which we have done in the past"

Clearly the answer is NO!!

This takes things even further:

"(2) In cases where the source herd originates from a state or Canadian province where CWD has not been identified, import will be granted only if the source herd is a participant in a CWD surveillance and certification program which conforms to standards described in Subchapters 11 and 47 of Title 35 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code."
I get that. Good grief. The rules are subject to change by public input. This isn't sealed in stone. It a freeking discussion for God's Sake!
Let's discuss it! Pros and Cons.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you "get it", then.....good grief.... "would I be good to bring back the entire carcass which we have done in the past?" is what's commonly known as "a stupid question".

As far as pros and cons.......I understand why they want to do it......but, last I checked there are no border fences preventing deer and elk from walking into Oklahoma from a CWD state, so I'm not sure it will actually do any good.

I don't see this one being changed by public input.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Deer hunting and hunting regs look to be a big change. The 55 grain minimum are proposed to go away as long as its centerfire.
I agree. The .204 running well over 4000 fps with a 37 grain will take a deer down in a heartbeat. They aren't thick skinned animals.

.410 or .28 Ga shotguns firing slugs would be legal for deer. Arkansas used to allow .410 slugs although I don't know if they still do.
At 1800 fps with an 88 grain slug, you get a bit under 650 ft lbs of energy, about a good .357 load out of a 4 inch barrel which is a legal deer pistol.

9mm Centerfire pistol with a barrel length of 4" would be a legal deer pistol now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom