Proposed Rule Change Comment Period Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about this as I was traveling around Texas and seeing all the roadkill deer carcasses alongside the roads (I think the high was four in about a quarter-mile stretch). How would these proposed rules actually prevent the spread of the disease? It's not like deer will be scavenging other deer carcasses, so are they worried that scavengers will be transmitting it from infected remains to live herds? That seems like an unlikely means of infection, but even if it is a risk, it seems that remains disposal is still the better angle to attack.
I can't speak about CWD, but Parvo (often fatal in puppies) will be present in soil for years after a dog that was infected was kept there and will infect puppies. I assume there is a chance that CWD could also be viable in the soil. I am not making the rules, so don't attack me for that assumption.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak about CWD, but Parvo (often fatal in puppies) will be present in soil for years after a dog that was infected was kept there and will infect puppies. I assume there is a chance that CWD could also be viable in the soil. I am not making the rules, so don't attack me for that assumption.

Yep prions.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That could be it. From Wikipedia:
"The origin and mode of transmission of the prions causing CWD is unknown, but recent research indicates that prions can be excreted by deer and elk, and are transmitted by eating grass growing in contaminated soil."

It still seems that this could be attacked less onerously by requiring all out of state deer/elk/etc to be processed at processing facilities that could then dispose of the affected parts of the remains properly. It may be safer to just prohibit hunters from bringing the affected parts into the state in the first place, though.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That could be it. From Wikipedia:
"The origin and mode of transmission of the prions causing CWD is unknown, but recent research indicates that prions can be excreted by deer and elk, and are transmitted by eating grass growing in contaminated soil."

It still seems that this could be attacked less onerously by requiring all out of state deer/elk/etc to be processed at processing facilities that could then dispose of the affected parts of the remains properly. It may be safer to just prohibit hunters from bringing the affected parts into the state in the first place, though.
The way I read it, a hunter can bring quartered carcass or boned out meat without any spine or brain matter and will be ok.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I read it, a hunter can bring quartered carcass or boned out meat without any spine or brain matter and will be ok.

Correct. I’ve contacted NM fish and game about proof of sex as well while transporting in NM since they have new regs this year.
The head needs to be present but not necessarily attached for proof of sex. The carcass can be transported whole in NM. Page 22 of their regs.
Oklahoma says what bassin says in the new regs if approved, which it will.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct. I’ve contacted NM fish and game about proof of sex as well while transporting in NM since they have new regs this year.
The head needs to be present but not necessarily attached for proof of sex. The carcass can be transported whole in NM. Page 22 of their regs.
Oklahoma says what bassin says in the new regs if approved, which it will.
So chunk the head at the state line.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm guessing that CWD isn't in the meat? Only the brain and maybe spine and some bones?

If this is the case I wouldn't think it'd be too terrible to quarter it out, bring home the meat and get any mounts done in the state of origin. At least until they know more about CWD anyway. Yes it might be a PITA and add some expense but stopping the spread may be worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom