Public School Parking Lot Bill passes house + 5 More

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14 ENGR/hB/HB2874 ENGR.PDF That's the text of the bill, adding a new paragraph G, containing the new records disposition and expiration date. No expiration date is in the current text of 1290.14.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

So then it is not extending the expiration date...it is establishing one.

Sounds like a successful lobby by the SDA instructors...LOL.

Currently there is no sunset or expiration if you will of SDA class certificates. From a practical knowledge standpoint, I do encourage those with older class certificates to consider retaking the class if its obvious that they have lost much of the information that they once had shortly after taking that class back in the dim environs on time. There is too much at risk for them to be short on current knowledge and handgun manipulating skills.

The same could be said for permit holders no? Just having a permit doesn't mean you've kept up with the law/training. It makes no sense to make non-permit holders training certs expire while current permit holders don't face the same mandate.

I personally see no need for mandatory recurring training or expiration of certificates.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2329 makes so much sense.

My kids swim competitively and we often swim in pools on school grounds at out of town meets. We normally go to the hotel and leave the gun there the first day just swinging by the hotel before going any place but the pool, but on the last day, we have to check out of the hotel and I have no choice but to store the gun in the car. I normally take it apart and store different pieces in different parts of the vehicle in an attempt to be just storing gun "parts" and not a "gun". Not sure if that works or not but it's better than not having it with me all weekend or storing it in a bar ditch across the road from the school.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW I hope Rep. Kern's anti-"zero tolerance" bill (aka the Pastry Bill) keeps advancing too. Easy to make fun of the subject matter at first, but the demonization of (imaginary!) guns in public schools -- and of kids who come from gun-culture households -- is no laughing matter at all. Good bill.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this Cooksey?

Ding, ding, ding....winner winner, chicken dinner. I actively contact my house and senate reps via e-mail. Both US and state. I hear back from ALL of them except Ms. Cooksey.:pissed: I mean really....she works for ME!!! Regardless of her opinion, the least she could do is e-mail a response!!!!

Spec ops Grunt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
•HB2874 – Rep. Newell’s bill extending the expiration date of SDA permit class certificates to three years and allowing instructors to destroy class records after three years.

Extending the expiration date? I thought there was no current expiration date for class certs?

What I've been able to find out is that while you are correct about the law in practice OSBI isn't honoring certificates more than a year old. Hence the purpose of the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom