Question about picking up stolen gun recovered by police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a rifle stolen 40 years ago and 10 years later i got a call from Dallas pd saying they had recovered it in a pawn shop and gave me a court date i couldnt make it but wife went in my place they had 3 bomb threats while she was there and she was 8 mo preg after the 3rd bomb threat the pawn broker didnt show up so she got to walk out with the rifle, down there you have to go to court and the judge will decide whether you get the gun or pay the pawn broker what he has in it to get it back but since he didnt show up we got it back. I know it is different here in Oklahoma.

TOOF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had my only gun I ever owned stolen. I reported it in one county and about a year later it was found in another county. All I had to do was drive down and get it. No paperwork, no background, no hassle, easy peasy.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me that if you submit the serial number to the police that would be proof enough, how could you have the serial number if the gun wasn't yours or in your possession? Plus, you're the guy that reported it stolen and that is on file otherwise the police wouldn't have called you to pick up the gun.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a stolen gun recovered and the OKC PD returned to me after numerous court delays by the thief and shooter. Yes it was used in a drive by shooting. I was the registered owner and purchased new at Academy. I had to provide my information to the detective and pass their background check prior to going to the property room to pick up my own gun.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
While sitting in the O Club at the BOQ in Sill a friend who was an army captain, Vietnam vet told me he had several guns stolen from him while in Fort Sill. Several years later he was called into the Comanche County Sheriff's Office to pick up the guns. He told me they took him into a room and sat him down at a table full of guns. They introduced him to the sheriff, Mr X with the D.A.'s office, Mr. Y FBI, and Mr Z ATF.

He said they asked him if this Remington 870 was his gun he reported stolen at such n such a time and date. He said yes.
Is this your Remington 700 30-06 he reported stolen at such n such a time and date. He said yes.
Is this your 22 Winchester he reported stolen at such n such a time and date. He said yes.
After they had almost exhausted the pile that were all his guns...
Is this your AK-47 ? He said, "Let me see it." The sheriff grimaced. He looked it over briefly and said, "No, that's not mine."

The alphabets left the room and the sheriff nudged him and whispered he was sure glad he didn't claim the AK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom