Question about picking up stolen gun recovered by police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOOF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems to me that if you submit the serial number to the police that would be proof enough, how could you have the serial number if the gun wasn't yours or in your possession? Plus, you're the guy that reported it stolen and that is on file otherwise the police wouldn't have called you to pick up the gun.

In the not too distant past unsuspecting individuals would post pictures of their guns on gun forums without covering the SN#. Anyone on the internet could see the SN# and report it stolen. Then just sit back and wait.
Did that ever happen? I don’t know. But the point is someone else could have the SN# and report it stolen.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of my Glocks (my edc at the time) was stolen in Dallas about 15 years ago. I was contacted about 3 years later that it had been retrieved off some guy in a traffic accident. It took another year for them to make sure it wasn't used in any other crimes and contacted me it was ready for release. They sent it to the OKC Police property room downtown. All I had to do was show my ID, pass the background check and pay $10. The whole process was really easy.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know.I talked to Murfs gun store today and they told me depending on the police department they have shipped them guns recovered after being stolen. That would save me a 400 mile round trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom