Question for LEOs or anyone else that might know.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know you laughed a little..
i1235.photobucket.com_albums_ff422_Lurkerinthewoods_icon_lol.gif

I NEVAH laugh about donuts! :nono1:

images2.wikia.nocookie.net___cb20110603164513_recipes_images_7_73_Homer_Donut.jpg

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't recall off the top of my head how long the odors can remain to a detectable level but if you want I'll ask the owner of K9 university on friday when I drop my dog off.

I can't remember, either. I seen an episode of COPS a few years ago and the K9 hit on the truck area but was cleared during the search. The officer had mentioned something about residual scent or residue, but I can't think of what it was. I would have pity on the K9 that has to sniff one of my cars. I can assure you the fabric seats are imbedded with residual methane gas..
i1235.photobucket.com_albums_ff422_Lurkerinthewoods_icon_redface_1.gif

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I don't doubt those articles, and love the idea put forth by the lawyer that k9 searches should be logged. It would be a great diagnostic to find out what is going on.

I should have elaborated, the dogs are usually pretty spot on, it is the handlers that I don't trust and typically ruin their dogs training. Many training schools for police do things a different way and set the level for detection way too low. The other problem that can come about is dogs hitting on large caches of items with a strong odor that are not illegal, I think one of the articles said a big batch of illegal cigarettes...that doesn't surprise me.

80% error rate is unacceptable. I would be willing to bet even new dogs average slightly higher than that once they have a general idea of whats going on.

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember, either. I seen an episode of COPS a few years ago and the K9 hit on the truck area but was cleared during the search. The officer had mentioned something about residual scent or residue, but I can't think of what it was. I would have pity on the K9 that has to sniff one of my cars. I can assure you the fabric seats are imbedded with residual methane gas..
i1235.photobucket.com_albums_ff422_Lurkerinthewoods_icon_redface_1.gif

I had one run through my car once. I was stopped for "bad taillight" even though I had an indicator in that car that would go off if the bulb was even close to dying, and let him k9 my car since I didn't feel like sitting out there all morning (it was 2am and I was on my way home from work) He told me the dog indicated on my soda can in the front cupholder. I replied, well then your dog needs to go back to the school. He said he knew what he was doing, and cut open the can...and well soda poured out. He told the other officer the joint must have fallen into the grass with it...I just laughed. There had never been any drugs, or even an open container of alcohol in that vehicle. Furthermore, I know a little about that kind of training and that dog didn't do anything that would come close to an acceptable "indication" it just sniffed and moved on...hell it probably wanted some to drink.

Something to remember, if you take the membrane in our nose used for smell it comes out to about the size of a postage stamp, if you take a german shepherd it is like a wet washcloth bound up in there. They are extremely capable of identifying separate smells and ignoring all the rest, it is just a matter of training.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once saw a MP K9 go apeshite over some jerky in a helmet bag during a gate check once. The WO was trying to give the K9 the jerky and the MP was pissed off.

Is that a false positive?:police2::pissed::cool:

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ahaha thats great....don't feed service dogs it does screw up their training sometimes. Way back in the day when my grandfather did it for the airforce they actually trained the dogs to accept food only from their handler because in the korean war (i think) they would throw poisoned meat over the fence, however the downside was if the handler died they had to put down the dog.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one go off years ago , working at Altus Air Force base
I was breeding Chows at the time and had several..."going"at the time.
This dog went ..ape ****...biting the car and barking like crazy...
the Mp pulled him back and ask....Do you have breeding dogs..?
I said Yessir I have 3 "going " right now
He said ....Move along please
Other than those situations ...Am I free to go?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the MP was pissed at the dog mostly. Him and his bros thought they had a real deal. The WO was just trying to get the dog off his kit before he destroyed it. I beat feet before they hooked me for aggravated mirth.

I never have a video cam when I need one, and cell phones were still in a bag in those days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom