question for the Christ believers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you believe if a person ends their own life that precludes you from going to Heaven? in cases where people have intense suffering I wonder if God would hold it against them
Catholic (and frankly all Christian teaching prior to the 20th century basically) teaching is that, objectively, taking one’s own life is a sinful act. In effect, the murder of self is no less than the murder of another. However, one’s culpability – and therefore liability for punishment – depends on things that cannot be seen easily from the outside. God may in fact know that a person was so mentally disturbed that he was not in full control of his actions. Personally, I tend to think that the person who acted in despair under the crushing weight of grief, for example, may not be culpable for their actions. OTOH, I tend to think that those who procure or assist in the suicide of another are in fact guilty of very grave crimes in that they were effectively feeding off the despair of others. Also, there are those who commit suicide for very vain, silly, or cowardly reasons and they may in fact be fully responsible for their actions. Bottom line as with any sin it’s a mix of the objective act itself, the mental state of the person committing the act, their free will or lack thereof, and their understanding of the nature of the sin.

Note - edited to correct egregious grammar errors - curse you SIRI voice to text!

Last edited:

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who are we to question God. Everything belongs to God and He will do with us as he pleases.

Paul tells us in Romans 9:21, "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the same guy that instructed Israelites to kill every man, woman and child in "the promised land".

Whatthefever

No one is forcing you to believe anything. You either accept it or you don't. If you don't, then move along. No need to disparage the beliefs of those who do.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one is forcing you to believe anything. You either accept it or you don't. If you don't, then move along. No need to disparage the beliefs of those who do.
The question was asked.

I had experience with a similar situation.

It changed my thoughts.

I'm sure you'd be a great hall monitor, but I'll move along when I'm ready.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was no question asked in my post.

1660330693946.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom