Questions for building a 25 06 target rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if I add a high end benchrest style stock, and a match trigger Im pretty well there. The idea of a single shot was only based on the chance to use the Magnum receiver I had located. Once it was clear one could only go with magnum calibers I lost all interest. My tired shoulders one of which has already been repaired just could not handle their recoil.
I then began to consider what was out there already in production. The 25 06 has a lot of potential for accuracy and low recoil. It will usually be found in a long action. That in turn opens all kinds of choices in stock configurations, and of course as it turned out the Tikka name is one of the best in terms of out of the box accuracy. By spending maybe a grand or so on this rifle I will have something that will be a accurate rifle that did not require a magnum build as the action I spoke to did.

Mo do you have suggestions for improving on the Tikka 3 in that caliber? I equipped to reload for 6.5x55, 204, and 223, now adding 25 06 to the mix won't be a big deal. Help appreciated.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I would do to the Tikka is getting a SS recoil lug upgrade and a stock of your choice.
Quarter bore Achilles hill is lack of bullet selection - basically if 115 Bergers don't work you are done (and not that .466 is something to write home about).

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I have friends that shoot 257 roberts together from time to time. They said if I had a 25 06 the ballistics of that round is very close to their caliber and would allow me to shoot with them. I have only been shooting for 7 yrs and at 68 we are mostly some guys that have fun. Will the Tikka not work in that environment? What is so touchy about hand loading for the 25 06?

I really appreciate your input.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bottom line is in friendly shooting - it really doesn't matter what or how you shoot. There are lots and lots of fans of quarter bore. Tikka will work fantastic. And when you decide to re-barrel it with the Shillen you got - I would go with 257 Roberts AI.

But like I said - lack of bullet selection is awful :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom