Questions for building a 25 06 target rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could a single shot magnum action such as this only not a Whitworth be used to make a 25 06 BR rifle? The guy that has the action I am interested in sent me this link http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13468584 so I could get some idea of what his looks like. He did not say what his was but said it was essentially identical to the one in the link.
I realize the bolt face of a magnum bolt would be a stumbling block but was hoping it could be changed to accommodate the 06 case. So is it possible? I like the idea of a single shot vs a magazine, or box feed. Anyway if that is not possible,

1. What is a magnum load with low recoil one could build a single shot rifle out of. I now shoot 6.5x55 in a Swedish CG80 target rifle. The 25 06 recoil is very similar to the 6.5 . I cannot handle even a 308 for an extended time. I use KickEzz recoil pads on most of my stuff now. My friend has a 1903 he shoots with and hey that thing is brutal!! I watch him put himself through that about 20 times a trip and he is through for the day. We are both old farts.

Help and input appreciated.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have built a lot of single shot rifles off of those Interarm Mk 10 actions, and they do make for a superbly accurate rifle...

The "problem" with the action being a magnum, is that it cannot be easily converted to a standard .473 bolt face, like what a Remington can. If you are dead set on using an Interarms single shot action, extend your search until you can find one with the correct bolt face...

If you are building a heavy target rifle, and you want to stay with a .25 caliber, use the magnum action and build a 257 Weatherby Magnum with a muzzle brake. Properly stocked, the 257 WM would actually have less recoil than what the 25-06 would...

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mo, I cannot find that ammo on the recoil reference chart. I did find a 6.5 Remington Mag. and that recoil is in the range of my Swed Mauser stuff. If that is the caliber you are referring to then hey worth consideration. If not what is the recoil rating for the 6.5 WSM? I am trying to build something that is not hard on my 68 yr old shoulders. Also since I have easy access to a Shilen 25 Cal barrel already I was looking in that direction. It is not magnum but I did not know one could not change just the bolt face on a Mag bolt to standard Mauser type.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Changing bolt face on rifles other than Savage and clones is pretty expensive since you have to buy whole new bolt.
However, I just remembered a cartridge that perfectly fits your requirements:
25 WSSM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25_Winchester_Super_Short_Magnum

6.5 WSM is a wild cat - load as you want it.
25 WSSM is standard cartridge, but due to lack of following ammo is impossible to find.

To tell you the truth - if you want have the pie and eat it to - buy a benchrest Savage in 6mmBR: no recoil, single feed, accurate to 1000 yards, easy to load. Accurately punching paper it is impossible to beat.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Swede CG80 with a Norma Precision matched heavy barrel and receiver in a CG 80 adjustable stock that was completely bedded by the Swedish Target Team back in the 70s. It will honestly shoot better than I ever will. Friends and family tell me it is one of the finest real target rifles they have ever shoot. I had the barrel cut to 24" and re-crowned 4 yrs ago.

So I have a rifle in the 6.5mm size already. Doubt a commercially built Savage in 6mm BR would but much if any step up for me. I may just live with what I have I guess. The 204 Ruger, and my Browning .223 along with the Swede is probably all I need. I would just like to get some good out of the Howa or Remy as I don't need either of them.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Mo u r right. I was trying to find a use for one of my 243s that are for sale. Not having a good knowledge of the new rounds combined with the small footprint of the short receiver has pretty well killed my thoughts on it. If I had a long action Id probably still build a 2506 though. tnks to everyone for the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom