Questions on the Kimber 1911 as a CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a Kimber Ultra Carry II as my new primary off duty conceald carry peice. Does anyone have any experience with them. Anyone have any problems with them. How do you prefer to carry it. Is it comfortable to carry. How is the accuracy. How concealable is it in all forms of clothing. Any help would be apreciated.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a Kimber Ultra Carry II as my new primary off duty conceald carry peice. Does anyone have any experience with them. Anyone have any problems with them. How do you prefer to carry it. Is it comfortable to carry. How is the accuracy. How concealable is it in all forms of clothing. Any help would be apreciated.

I have friends that sware by Kimber. I love the way Kimbers look and have little against them. However, we were out shooting and a friend of mine pulled a Brand New Kimber out of the box and let me shoot an entire magazine. It jammed 4 times. I politely handed back (I didn't want to trash his new $1000 gun) and said thanks. I aso had another friend who had a kimber and the day before his CC Class his Kimber broke and had to borrow a gun to shoot. If I was given the chance to get one, I would. If I had a choice between other 1911's I would not choose a Kimber. Hope this personal experience helps.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have this exact gun and I shoot it by far better than anything I own. It points so natural for me. Mine never jams with the Kimber mags it's been 100% with these but I brought a high dollar wilson mag that jams sometimes.
I'd buy it great gun and nice to carry. I carry mine clocked and locked just as they were designed.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry an Ultra CDP II that I bought new about five years ago almost every day. Before that I carried (and still have) an Ultra Carry II that I bought used about six years ago. I don't shoot either of them a lot, but have never had a single issue with either of them when I did shoot them.

I carry OWB in a $20 plastic Galco belt hoster at around the 3:00 position. I normally wear a button-up shirt untucked which provides great concealment. It's comfortable carry. I know it's there, but it doesn't bother men. In fact I feel naked without it. When attire requires that I tuck-in I carry a titanium j-frame.

Do you carry a full size 1911 on duty? The reason I ask is that I know a lot of officers carry a smaller version of their on-duty weapon for round and magazine compatibility. (i.e. TPD officers carry a full size Glock .40 so a G27 would be a good off-duty/backup gun.) Just a thought.

Bryan

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I don't carry a 1911 on duty. I carry a Glock 31 in .357 Sig for my duty gun. I carry a Smith and Wesson 642 as a backup or a Ruger LCP as a backup. The Smith or Ruger is almost always on me. I did not want another glock for an off duty gun. I also have a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. I don't have a 1911 and it is about time I got one. I was also pointed in the direction of Springfeild Amory for a compact 1911.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friends that sware by Kimber. I love the way Kimbers look and have little against them. However, we were out shooting and a friend of mine pulled a Brand New Kimber out of the box and let me shoot an entire magazine. It jammed 4 times. I politely handed back (I didn't want to trash his new $1000 gun) and said thanks. I aso had another friend who had a kimber and the day before his CC Class his Kimber broke and had to borrow a gun to shoot. If I was given the chance to get one, I would. If I had a choice between other 1911's I would not choose a Kimber. Hope this personal experience helps.

Most 1911's need a break in period. My Springfield GI had problems as the extractor was too tight.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I don't carry a 1911 on duty.

I was hoping you had one of those Wilsons I've seen Broken Arrow PD carrying.

I don't have a 1911 and it is about time I got one.

I agree. Everyone should have one. Just be careful, they are addictive.

I was also pointed in the direction of Springfeild Amory for a compact 1911.

Those are good, too. They probably have a better reputation than the Kimber compacts, but that may be because there's just not as many of them around.

Bryan

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I've always wanted a Springfield Amory 1911 I've just seen way too many issues with the compact models. I've know about 5 people that have owned them but not for long. If I were to get one of them it'd be the full size GI.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
why are there soooo many reports of Kimber 1911 with problems?

before reading so many negative feedback... had always though of Kimber as a high end 1911.

anyways.. my Gold Cup 1911 has been dead reliable, very accurate and a blast to shoot.

it'd be cool to able to CCW a 1911... but just don't have enough body mass to hide a full size 1911.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have got one. kind of heavy. jams a bit.

i like my springfield xd. does not jam, a little lighter than 1911, very, very accurate gun.

some of the sub-compacts do not cycle very good. never had a problem with springfield xd subcompact or service cycling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom