Raising chickens online course $20 OSU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
you got to be kidding me??? a chicken course??? just another tax.
What tax?

You put it nicer than I would have.
So, how would you have put it?

Not everyone has raised any animals other than a cat or a dog. Most people have no idea that eggs aren't supposed to be cold and that milk comes from real live cow titties.

I think it's a good thing and should be appreciated instead of seagulled, but whatever.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep ‘em warm with a heat lamp while small, until they’re fully feathered. Have water and feed always available to them. Build a sufficient enclosure predators can’t get into. Keep their area dry, and clean the manure out once a month.

There ya go, a chicken course... where’s my $20? Gosh I wish I could make easy money teaching city slickers how to keep the easiest farm animal that exists.

I’m glad these type of things are out there for people who need it though

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A voluntary course that one is free to take or not take, which requires nothing from you whatsoever in terms of payment or anything else, is a tax?

Giving those who don't know something an opportunity to learn for a nominal price is a bad thing now... I thought it sounded pretty interesting since we're thinking of getting chickens. My wife's raised them before but I haven't. But I sure don't wanna pay anymore taxes...

😏

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep ‘em warm with a heat lamp while small, until they’re fully feathered. Have water and feed always available to them. Build a sufficient enclosure predators can’t get into. Keep their area dry, and clean the manure out once a month.

There ya go, a chicken course... where’s my $20? Gosh I wish I could make easy money teaching city slickers how to keep the easiest farm animal that exists.

I’m glad these type of things are out there for people who need it though
There are people who make money doing exactly what you just said. Take your first four sentences and turn them into a class. Each sentence is its own subject. You wouldn't believe how many folks have no idea what you are talking about in those four sentences. I'd say 60% or more have zero experience raising animals or doing farm work, or anything like that.
Not all these folks who aren't farmers or who want to take a "chicken course" are city slickers. There are tons of people in small towns that know jack about raising animals...you could probably make some cash just teaching the folks around your area.

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A voluntary course that one is free to take or not take, which requires nothing from you whatsoever in terms of payment or anything else, is a tax?

Giving those who don't know something an opportunity to learn for a nominal price is a bad thing now... I thought it sounded pretty interesting since we're thinking of getting chickens. My wife's raised them before but I haven't. But I sure don't wanna pay anymore taxes...

😏
if the course is required before you can have permission to have chickens and the course costs you 20 dollars then that fee is a tax. osu is a land grant college and the extension service is paid for by our taxes. any expenditure by the extension service comes from taxation. any course provided to you for free that is paid for by burdening others by taxation isn't free.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the course is required before you can have permission to have chickens and the course costs you 20 dollars then that fee is a tax. osu is a land grant college and the extension service is paid for by our taxes. any expenditure by the extension service comes from taxation. any course provided to you for free that is paid for by burdening others by taxation isn't free.
Actually, the city of Edmond requires a 2 hour course on raising chickens. See bullet 2 in General Requirements.
https://www.edmondok.com/chickens
What it does not say is where to take the class, or from whom, or any fee minimum or limit, or any kind of assessment regarding a chicken course. Nowhere. Now if you utilize the Google Machine or DDG/Brave for all the conspiracy theorists, you'll find tons of online chicken courses - some free, some for a fee.

The course fee could be a tax if it's assessed by the city requiring it but it's not. If the city of Edmond said, "you will take the OSA course for $20 to get our permit and that is the only accepted course" then maybe it could be construed as a tax...maybe. If the OSU extension was offering the course for free in conjunction with the city of Edmond to fulfill the chicken course requirement, and the course fee was paid in the permit, then maybe it could be a tax. But none of that is true.

IMO, the solution to this is move out of the city.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://learn.extension.okstate.edu/courses/backyard-chickens
i was referring to this course. do other courses provide a certificate of completion? proof that the city demands? then the city requires a one time fee of 25 dollars to certify you to own a few chickens. it is still a tax. enjoy your new freedom to own chickens permitted to you by the city. over

Latest posts

Top Bottom