Raising chickens online course $20 OSU

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@RickN you may be able to swing this.
this fulfills the Edmond OK city requirements of having back yard chickens.

https://learn.extension.okstate.edu/courses/backyard-chickens
You can work on this course any time, 24/7 for up to 30 days. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities and take quizzes. The course is divided into six modules, which can be completed at your own pace. Each module should take approximately 20 minutes to complete.

To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn at least 80% on all assessments. A certificate will be available to download after the course is completed.

Total Time Estimate: 3 hours

Topic Overview​

• Selecting Your Birds
  • Caring for Chicks
  • Caring for Chickens
  • All about Eggs
  • Poultry Health and Disease
  • Backyard Poultry and Implications for Public Health

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can just picture it now, chickens roosting on the various vehicles or parts of vehicles in swampratt’s backyard, and leaving eggs on the engine blocks and amongst the cabinet doors in the shed…

You would think so but that is a deal breaker for me.
I hate animals pooping and wizzing on my stuff one reason I no longer have dogs and the reason I have traps all over the yard.
My chickens lay less eggs if I let them roam and eat stuff other than layer feed and certain feed makes them lay much more.

Wife makes me trip the traps when the grandson goes out to play.
He will be setting those traps soon enough though and shooting the critter that gets in it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived on a corner. When he was still on this rock, my Uncle turned at the corner to go to his house.

If I was out front when he came by, he would stop and talk.

He stopped one day, when I sorting duck decoys. We had a long chat.

A few days later, I get a knock around 10pm.
My Uncle is at the door. He asks "why did I set duck across the top of the fence?

We walked around the corner of the house and all the chickens (he didn't know we had)
were roosting on the fence.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same as swampratt, our chickens lay every day if they are in a coop, when the daughter lets them run free they hardly lay.
If y’all haven’t seen the doc on Amazon The Natural History of the Chicken, watch it. It’s hilarious and if it’s real, there are more jacked up people then I thought just a heads up

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Theirs some real fruit loops out there re guarding chicks. Well a lot of other animals too.
Same as swampratt, our chickens lay every day if they are in a coop, when the daughter lets them run free they hardly lay.
If y’all haven’t seen the doc on Amazon The Natural History of the Chicken, watch it. It’s hilarious and if it’s real, there are more jacked up people then I thought just a heads up
edit, I swear I typed chickens

Latest posts

Top Bottom