Random pics & chatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our home grown potatoes are by far our most favorite product of the garden. The problem is storage. I have an in ground concrete cellar to put them in. Usually dig them around 4th of July, cure in the shade for a few days and then to the cellar. They usually begin sprouting beyond use by thanksgiving. Any suggestions for improving storage longevity?

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our home grown potatoes are by far our most favorite product of the garden. The problem is storage. I have an in ground concrete cellar to put them in. Usually dig them around 4th of July, cure in the shade for a few days and then to the cellar. They usually begin sprouting beyond use by thanksgiving. Any suggestions for improving storage longevity?
Keep them in burlap sacks, that's how the old folks did it around here in the cellar. It's supposed to slow them sprouting

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to do with them. I canned some cut up like fries. Peel, cut, blanch then pressure can. They work pretty good for fried taters or mashed potatoes or stew.
IMG_20230121_134506448.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep them in burlap sacks, that's how the old folks did it around here in the cellar. It's supposed to slow them sprouting
I suppose I'm going to need some burlap sacks. I wrapped end of season green tomatoes in feed bag paper and had our garden tomatoes until mid February. They remained heads above store bought.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

We like the flavor/texture of the Pontiac best but they tend to sprout quite a bit quicker than the Kennebec in the cellar for us.
I don't plant russet type , they don't do as well for me in my red clay gravel dirt.
I plant some huckleberry gold that are supposed to be low glycemic.
Pontiac tend to be the best producer for me. Usually average 10 lbs for every lb planted.
I don't have a cellar for storage so I can, freeze dry , Dehydrate as much as I can before they sprout too bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom