A new era in cooking for me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sous Vide is awesome. Best ribeye I ever had.

One of the best I ever did, as well. I used a pot on the stove and a thermometer and just kept monitoring things. I got it pretty right, and they were very good. But this should make it more precise and easier. In addition, adding in the steps of chilling and smoking in between the sous vide bath and the searing reportedly makes a huge difference.

Here's a report on a blinded taste test with this method vs. traditional.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our second go around, my ribeye, and the wife's were seared in a cast iron skillet that had blue and gold sausage and bacon cooked in it prior to putting the steaks in. The added flavor to the crust is amazing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the best I ever did, as well. I used a pot on the stove and a thermometer and just kept monitoring things. I got it pretty right, and they were very good. But this should make it more precise and easier. In addition, adding in the steps of chilling and smoking in between the sous vide bath and the searing reportedly makes a huge difference.

Here's a report on a blinded taste test with this method vs. traditional.
Interesting link. Wife likes well done, and I like MR. The heat and chill method would work perfectly to satisfy both of us.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see where that would help, for sure! I'm going to use the flat surface of a pair of Grill Grates so I can get more uniform sear and crust, and also throw down some additional rosemary on it while searing. I'm not expecting a lot of rosemary in the flavoring from the sous vide, but if I sear it with some sizzling hot rosemary on board, it should be better. I'm told for vegetable matter and herbs to really do much, you need to get around 180*F.

But, it's an experiment, so we'll see.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting link. Wife likes well done, and I like MR. The heat and chill method would work perfectly to satisfy both of us.

Exactly, or you have to do 2 pots or more simultaneously. Also, you can sous vide multiples and refrigerate or freeze them for later smokin' and searin'!

I might get a 2nd Joule or an Anova at another point, depending on how much of a PITA it is to cook multiple levels of doneness for multiple people... we will see. Then I could do simultaneous cooks, but with the chill method, I'm not sure it's necessary. And let's face it, these things ain't cheap! lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly, or you have to do 2 pots or more simultaneously. Also, you can sous vide multiples and refrigerate or freeze them for later smokin' and searin'!

I might get a 2nd Joule or an Anova at another point, depending on how much of a PITA it is to cook multiple levels of doneness for multiple people... we will see. Then I could do simultaneous cooks, but with the chill method, I'm not sure it's necessary. And let's face it, these things ain't cheap! lol
I have one temp controller and one crock pot. The chill method would allow doing steaks in advance and then cooking on the day to eat them. I'm thinking there might be a little more grey meat on the edges getting the internal temps up to where they need to be when chilled, but it would also result in a nicer crust.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting into some serious cast iron use and am looking forward to trying a reverse seared steak soon. Still working to get the skillet's seasoning just right before I try that but so far it has worked great for everything I have tried.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one temp controller and one crock pot. The chill method would allow doing steaks in advance and then cooking on the day to eat them. I'm thinking there might be a little more grey meat on the edges getting the internal temps up to where they need to be when chilled, but it would also result in a nicer crust.

Use that new pellet smoker before you sear them... bring them up close to temp, get some smoke flavoring on them, then sear them at the last minute. :D Should be easier even than going straight from sous vide to sear, because you can start the sear at a lower temp than they were sitting in while in the water bath.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use that new pellet smoker before you sear them... bring them up close to temp, get some smoke flavoring on them, then sear them at the last minute. :D Should be easier even than going straight from sous vide to sear, because you can start the sear at a lower temp than they were sitting in while in the water bath.
Grumble...... The timing on getting a MR and a well done is critical using that process. I'm getting closer, but with the pellet grills, the temp is not precise as its only 16 ga steel, and the auto feeder for the pellets rely's on a thermocouple that has a hard time keeping an even temp for precise cooking, in winds and cool temps. I've fixed part of that by using a cardboard tube from toilet paper or paper towels to insulate the thermocouple from the outer wall that its 1/4" away from.
In another thread, we talked about some blankets, etc to help prevent the temp swings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom